tempoarary registration expires

Asked by Jun 27, 2016 at 11:54 AM about the 2008 Jeep Compass Limited

I bought car from dealer on June 4 2016. Amount was fully paid including registration and title and I was told that I will get registration by mail.On june 24 I received a call from them asking for emission test. I did and failed with OBD2 error  hinting gascap. Now I have to get it repaired and then reset OBD2 and then run some minimum disntance for OBD2 to be ready again for retest. But the temporary plate expiring on July 04 . So I may not be able to run the car so as to get it ready for emission retest before July 04. After 04 July , I cannot run the car due to registration, and to get registration , I need to run the car .. This is kind of dead loop..Any solution

Is it not the responsibility of the dealer to do emission test before handover the car ?

40

In order for them to even send your registration and title papers into the state, they need to have safety and emissions done on the correct corresponding years. So if your car is a 2008, this year, both safety and emissions are required for that year and the dealer has to do them before selling the car. It seems as if they forgot to do the emissions and wanted you to do it so they could submit the paperwork. They should be responsible for reimbursement and to figure out a temporary replacement car while they fix the code failures and get your car to pass emissions. They also should have your plates (as soon as they fix the codes and pass emissions) expedited and to you as soon as they are able to have them sent. You could drive the car back to the dealer and explain what is going on and have them fix the issue and have them finish the emission test. I'd also ask to borrow a car while they do that. Once they get it done, it should only take 2-3 days for them to get the plates to you (if they forget or waste time). So you should still be able to get your plates before the temp tag expires! - Driven Auto Sales

Best Answer Mark helpful