How to change right dash light bulb that illuminates the temp gauge and part of speedometer

155

Asked by Sep 28, 2013 at 02:31 PM about the 2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

23,765

You will need to pull the dash panel and instrument cluster. I recommend changing all of the bulbs while you are there. No sense in doing it twice.

155

How to pull the dash panel and cluster should have the first question.

23,765

You're really going to need a manual for this one. Not difficult but a lot more detail than I can remember at home sitting in front of my computer.

155

Thanks for your help. I figured it must be a detailed job, dealer wants $165. to do it, and not covered by my Ford extended warranty

23,765

It isn't that bad. Just go slow and take a good look at what you're doing. The hardest part is keeping in mind that you are dealing with plastic parts that can be brittle. Off of the top of my head (being an old flat-rate tech), you probably have to take the cover off of the steering column, disconnect a small indicator cable. Remove 4 bolts holding up the column and let it rest in the front seat. Remove the dash bezel screws. Remove the instrument panel screws. Disconnect the cluster. Take it out, roll it over. Swap out all of the 194 bulbs and put it back together. That's just off the top of my head - I don't have the vehicle or my resources in front of me to get more precise.

23,765

BTW - a dealer doesn't have to do this job. A competent tech can do it.

155

Thanks for your help. and taking the time to respond.

17,870

I recommend the purchase of a Haynes manuel to use as a guide. Also, a roll of painters tape to stick the screws to and you can list where they came from. You are going to end up with a lot of screws before you get to the instrument cluster. You will have to unplug the instrument cluster, be careful, no yanking please. There will also may be a printed circuit flim on the back of the cluster, do not damage it. The bulbs are probably what you would consider typical if you have not done this before. There is no real socket that attaches to base of the bulb.

90

Take your pick,there's a bunch back there, be prepared to replace 2or3 to light your dim area have them available first ford p/n 6L2z13466, they're 1/4" plastic hex and not cheap $7+ each but well worth it to avoid the hassle of trying to find something that might do but won't work, napa was the only store with something comparable and I broke all those trying them and they were $7.40 each, don't even try led's from eBay they don't fit and don't light if they do fit then break off inside the cluster when removing. Finally you get what you pay for and the bulbs from ford are American made. Tip, I marked the back of the bulb over the terminals to mark the contacts to insert correctly the first time and how far to turn to make proper contact with the circuit board( 1/4 turn or less). Cause according to the cellophane slip they come in open packages aren't returnable, so I was real cautious with this stuff. They're hard to find, there were only 6 within 50 miles of Nashville, I cleaned all but one out in a whole afternoon of traveling. And I still have some dim areas. FYI the caution and warning lights in the center aren't affected by these bulbs just the cluster background lighting and turn indicators.

90

Good video on YouTube to remove the cluster, most helpful.