Is there any steps that need to be done after replacing the TIPM?

10

Asked by May 10, 2017 at 06:17 PM about the 2008 Dodge Nitro R/T

I replaced the TIPM in our Dodge 2008 Dodge Nitro with a plug and play TIPM from Autozone because it started showing all the symptoms like flashing headlights, honking horn, failure to start, locks not working, etc. Resetting it by pulling the IOD also stopped working. After the repair all the former issues were corrected. However, I am having more issue that may or may not be related to the install. The idiot lights for the parking break, ABS, EPS, and no traction are lit up. The anti-lock brake system is not functioning properly, it feels like it has air in the system but I never messed with the breaks.  the speedometer isn’t working, the airbag light is on, and it acts like it is in 4-wheel drive, even though the selector is in 2-Wheel Drive. I’ve tried every trick I know to get the thing to go into 2-wheel drive but it won’t do it. Does anyone know how to address these things?

30,205

i am not aware of an outside programming technique available for the TIPM, short of a chip of some sort. all the dealership does is hook the vehicle up to the computer system and flash new software onto the TIPM. last time i checked TIPM's werent on backorder. >www.dealerrater.com/recalls/Dodge/Nitro/

30,205

However, according to the SM once it is installed, battery reconnected, "Insert the ignition key and turn it to the "RUN" position and wait twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM at this time. After twelve seconds turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position and then back to the "ON" position and verify vehicle systems operation." There was one member here who did this DIY, but they never said if the TIPM they used was new or from a junk yard. They did say that it worked.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Thanks I'll give that a try in a bit and see it works. The one I purchased was a rebuild with the issues corrected and it wasn't easy to find, from a reputable parts store, without going through the dealership system. I thought it had to have something to do with VIN registry. If that doesn't stop it I will go to the dealership and get it flashed. I'll let you know either way though, thanks again.

10

We did what you said and it worked. Everything is functioning properly. Now I can say that this repair job is very easy to do and can save people a lot of money. All it takes is about half an hour (and 12 seconds). I purchased the TIPM from Autozone, it was $412.00 with a $70 core fee. Thanks for the advice...