Check Engine Light On - Multiple Codes Read - Possible ECM Issue

Dylan Sexton

Asked by Oct 15, 2014 at 01:49 AM about the 2008 Pontiac Torrent Base

2008 Pontiac Torrent
Check engine light came on earlier today. Had the codes read on it ant got several codes back. All of which are regrading the ECM system or some part of them. The codes are below. Most of them indicate that the ECM is not programed. What does this mean? Does the ECM need replaced or can it possibly be reprogrammed? How much does this generally cost?
Also, replaced battery in the vehicle 2 weeks ago. it was totally out. Could the loss of battery connection in that time caused something in the ECM to become un-configured and un-programmed some how? Could this possibly resolve it's self?
Would it be smart to disconnect the battery for a while a reconnect it so the check engine light will reset an see if the codes pop back up again?
There are no symptoms at all with the car aside the check engine light. Drives as usual. No decreased power or odd noises of any kind. The car starts right up just fine with no hesitation or delay.
The codes,

Did you have the codes cleared? If you did drive the Torrent for a while and see if the service engine light comes back on. If it does get it looked at by a reputable mechanic. It might be able to be flashed and updated without replacing it. Usually around $100-200 depending where you live.

Best Answer
Dylan Sexton

No, they would not clear them for us.. They recommended disconnecting battery for a while. Sense when the battery got reconnected it would clear them. So will probably do that this evening. If it is the computer and that does not clear the light how long would you think the ECM would last without causing driving issues before Having to be replaced/flashed? Like would it be drivable for a few more weeks or so sense it is not showing no issues now asides the light being on?

If that clears the codes or not just drive it. You will eventually need to take care of the problems but you should be ok for a few weeks. That being said if the lights come back on and the torrent starts running bad get it fixed ASAP or you will cause more damage and cost you more money.

Dylan Sexton

Disconnected battery today and the light has not came back on (drove about 20 miles afterwards)! Thanks for the info!!!

No problem. Glad I could help.

I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent and have many problems with the engine light being on the tracking/stabilitrak light on and one fan not working. I took the vehicle to a GM dealer and they found 5 codes and never said what the codes where. However, they reset the codes drove the care and said if the light come on again bring it back. Within two days the traction /stabilitrack light was on again. Now the cause, says the GM dealer is the EGR Valve need replacing. In the meantime, took the car to a locate service and they replace several things: the EGR Valve and gasket. the cooling fans (1) the gas cap. The Traction/stabilitrak light went off Then the engine light is on and had to replace the evap solenoid valve and wire harness. Now I still have the engine light. The diagnostic test shows two codes which I need to find out what they are before discussing further. Now I am facing another issue. When I get gas and then start the vehicle the car has a continuous sound and sometimes will not start on the first go round but catches on the second. Any idea as to what is going on? Thanks 2007 Pontiac Torrent Had that done and they

I just looked up ECM to know more about what it does and found this if anyone is interested: I noticed that it demonstrated many of my problems however I am still with an engine light and roaring sound when I get gas? The Engine Control Module (also called the Powertrain Control Module or PCM) is the brains of the engine management system. It controls the fuel mixture, ignition timing, variable cam timing and emissions control. It constantly monitors emissions performance via its OBD (Onboard Diagnostics) programming, and it oversees the operation of the fuel pump, engine cooling fan and charging system. It also interacts with the transmission controller (if separate), ABS/traction/stability control system, body control module, climate control module and anti-theft system. In short, the engine control module performs a wide variety of functions that are necessary to operate a vehicle.