Blinking Cruise Control Light and sollid Check engine light

Asked by Jan 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM about the 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 i

I have a 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i and the cruise control mantle light is blinking and the check engine light is on sold.  The gage put it on the computer and it reset itself.  The code was listed with issues with the gas cap.  We replaced the gas cap and make sure it is on tight but after 4 days the lights started again.

87,405

So what was the code? I am just guessing here....P0442 SUBARU - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction... Possible causes - Missing or loose fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks - EVAP system hose leaking - Fuel tank leaking... The P0442 code means that the control module has detected a small leak in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP). Loose fuel tank filler cap is the most common cause that triggers the P0442 code......P0445 SUBARU - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted... Possible causes - Faulty Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control harness is open or shorted - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Solenoid Control circuit poor electrical connection.

9,310

The most common code in this Subie iteration is PO420: cat conv insufficiency. SOA will reflash ECM, and if unsuccessful, may replace front cat assy under extended recall. If not it's financially prudent to ignore it, asa cheaper aftermarket cats do NOT work. Second most common I see are misfire codes (PO301-4) from an ignition wire that's wet or dressed too closely to the intake manifold ground field. Oily plugs from seepage through the valve cover gaskets can be a culprit. (Note that your OE NGK plats are infamous for losing their anodes, so be just jump up to any decent iridium to outlast your car.) So as Ro said: what's the code?

9,310

gaskets=seals.

SubaruGuruBoston...I have the code in the car I will check and message back later. All information is very helpful.

10

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i with same issue. CEL and VSC lights on steady. Cruise control and BRAKES blinking, AT oil temp blinking after I drive a few hundred yards. Had a guy at Autozone replace my low and high beams a week ago. Gas tank on empty/red yesterday. Filled it with portable gas container. Oil low today. Had oil and filter done today. Checked gas cap. Seems okay. Had codes pulled at Autozone. PO700 Transaxle Control System (MIL Request), P2764 Lock -up duty solenoid circuit (Low), Any help gratefully accepted

9,310

First check ATF level. THEN drain and refill with 3.5 qts clean ATF; erase codes. Report back.

can these lights be ignored for a little while or will it cause permanent damage? Error for me is wrong gas cap used after the original was lost

It all depends what the codes are. I was told that mine was to do with the valve body as well as a locked solenoid. Advised not to drive it and get it seen by Subaru for bulletin recall. Full diagnostic done at Brewster Subaru. Valve body and diagnostic done next day. All lights off, and car running well. So to answer your question, not worth taking the chance as the CVT could get more damage than needed.

9,310

LSC (and Daniel): your post seems to be a more generic question unrelated to the CVT. If indeed your CEL et al was caused by the gas cap error then you CAN indeed drive ad infinitum without any risk. The CEL may self-erase after the 4th start following using a good vapor-locking gas cap, or require either a battery disconnect...or even erasing by any cheap scanner. But as Daniel said, it's a good idea to scan the CEL to see if there's another code locked in memory before clearing the ECM.

After an AUTOMATIC CAR WASH this ALSO happened IMMEDIATELY with my 2014 Outback "Subaru Outback 2.5i with same issue. CEL and VSC lights on steady. Cruise control and BRAKES blinking, AT oil temp blinking" happened". I got CODES 700, 842 and 420. If something was got too wet in the car wash, could clearing the codes take care of this so I can be on my way?

9,310

Probably. Might take some drying in the hot sun?