vibration cold start

Asked by Feb 08, 2010 at 10:55 AM about the 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4WD

My Highlander got a vibration when starting cold. But when I put it on neutral it is less.
It has got 24,300 Km. on it. Please advise. Once start running it's smooth. Vibration is quiet but it's very prominent!

40

I have a 2009 Highlander with the same problem. Dealership claims its normal. I am pursuing with the lemon law. My children are afraid to ride in it because the vibration is quite intense. More information with this problem would be beneficial to my claim, please e-mail to me.

20

Our 2003 Highlander has a shuddering issue when we turn at low speed or park, etc. The car jumps, shudders and bucks while a rumbling vibration sounds from under the floor. We had the vsc proportioning valve replaced at about 15000 miles, which cost us a lot. The last time we took the cart to service, we mentioned the issue tot he dealer, and also had the vsc light lit on the dash, but were told the sound is normal (we know it's not, we only started hearing it this past year) and that the vsc light was lit because of a vacuum hose leak. Really. During these episodes, the brake pedal pushes up from the floor into the driver's foot with a lot of pressure, but we just had the brake fluid flushed and replaced, so we're in the dark. I don't trust our dealer anymore, so we're trying to find someone qualified to help us. Hope our experiences help you in your efforts to get a recall or class-action

20

I have a 2010 Highlander with 7700 miles on it that has a bad vibration in reverse and drive when starting cold. The dashboard and drivers seat both vibrate. Dealer does not know what to do and toyota rep says it is normal. I sat in four similar highlanders and no vibration. Looking into pursuing the lemon law. Any advice would be helpful.

5

Remeber Toyota has had recalls on vehicles recently. I do not recall if the highlander was one of them. This could be one of the issues with the recall. If not, I would take it to another shop (not toyta) and see what they say it is for a second opinion

10

jjrny, I have a 2010 Highlander as well and we just bought with 15,000 miles this year at first I thought it was normal. But now since my husband is sort of a mechanic he thinks it is a concern that needs to be address. Not a big deal, but it is still a problem. We will be getting it checked with where we got the vehicle from, not through Toyota dealership. We got ours from Carmax. Dealership charge an arm and a leg. Are you still having issue?

20

Turned out that our problem was in the Traction Control system. It required replacing the TC Computer entirely which was a $1500.00 part! Installation another $200. We went three different places before an out of state dealer finally got it right. Of course it all happened after the warranty expired, so we're still fuming. Now the ABS light won;t go out, and I think one of the sensors needs replacing! You can't win.