Why is my 2008 Chevy Aveo still not blowing cold air after -

Asked by Aug 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Aveo5 LS

First replaced the A/C Service Valve was leaking, changed and added Freon, still not cooling; then replaced the compressor, replaced that and charged with Freon, still not cooling; replaced condenser adn evaporator tube, also high side ac service valve leaking; repaired these and after 1 day, it's not getting cold and not cooling.  What next?

Did you pull a vacuum on the system to get all the air out after servicing and before adding freon?

I had it at the dealer. The invoice says "evacuated ac system" so I guess that is what you are talking about.

What are your A/C system pressures? If the high side is restricted through the condenser the pressures will be too high so the system won't operate properly. Did you replace the dryer? Did you flush the system before you installed the new parts?

Dealer did the work? If so I would take it back to them. Also is your compressor kicking in and staying ingaged? Does one of the lines feel cold? If so I would check your damper door actuators for proper operation.

tennisshoes, I didn't check anything. I've had it to the dealer 4 times since the first of July. dandyoun, I was thinking of taking it to a mechanic I used to use before I got the car and have him check it out to see what it is that the dealer service is missing. It's under an extended warranty so it's not costing me anything. As to the compressor, not sure. I will write all this down and mention these things to the service guy. Thank you.

Oh, and by the way, just so you know why I'm not doing any of this myself, I'm female and over 60. ;)

That's why we here so that car owners can be better informed on their vehicles issues so when dealing with dealers and mechanics they can insure that they are not getting smoke blown up their back side. Extended warranty then it's up to them to get you back to cooling properly. Good luck and keep them on their toes.

I took my car back in to the dealership. Got it back after 2 days. Service Tech said he test drove it and it was working fine. He kept it overnight to recheck it. I picked it up last night and it is still NOT blowing COLD air. It would get kind of cool - maybe about 77-78 degrees, but no lower. He said there was another leak and they fixed it. I think this time they said that they replace the AC Line from the Evaporator Core to Condensor and Compressor. Is there a thermostat or some part that regulates how cold it gets in the car? They feel like they have done everything and checked everything and yet it's still not getting cold? Any ideas. I'm taking it back to them next Tuesday for one last try.

That is not right, it should be blowing around 40 degree air out of the vents on medium fan speed, it sounds like they are missing something. That is the problem with dealers, all of their techs are paid flat rate so they don't want to take the time to really look over the system. Will your insurance policy cover an independent repair shop? A lot of them pay a set amount per week so the tech can really check the system over. Might be worth checking into.

I was considering taking it to another dealer. I need to check the warranty to see if it will cover if I take it to a local mechanic that I know who has worked on other cars of mine before. Thanks for your help.