The coolant light comes on if I stop suddenly or at other random times. It doesn't stay on - does the coolant need to be flushed or is there another problem?

Asked by Sep 16, 2013 at 04:54 PM about the 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Low coolant level in the tank is most likely the cause, check your cooling for a small leak somewhere if the system is indeed low, could be just a loose clamp.

The cooling system is a pressurized system. Although someone will point out that all auto cooling systems are pressurized, they have not done their homework. The difference between our closed system and the older types is that the coolant in the visible coolant tank actually circulates through the system. Therefore, be super careful about how and when you open it. Also, if you do not know the history, you might want to just have it flushed, filled, bled. Our cars have known air pressure system problems. Also, most of our water pumps 2008 included fail at around 30-40 k. If you are near that mileage that may be your issue. Check the weep holes at the bottom of the water pump. Most often when it happens, all the coolant just belches up out of the water pump and you come out and find a big puddle under your car. However, sometimes the weep holes will leak just a little to let you know it's about to vomit. If your res is low and you want to fill it, Make sure it is ice cold. If I were you, I would fill the res if it is low, and set the DIC button so you can read the coolant temp at all times instead of say the miles on the car. It should always be somewhere between 189 degrees and 214 is normal,even up to 225-230 is ok under some circumstances. Start worrying at 240, word on the street is the car will go into limp-mode at 250. Last, if you have not joined this website Do yourself a favor and get on board. Congrats on your Solstice. It really is a fantastic car.