Help, my car is stuttering, shutting off unless I give it gas. Check engine light n smell funny. Was driving fine, a little low on gas. Last week a whining noise coming from front drivers side and tic

Asked by Oct 22, 2015 at 09:17 PM about the 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

3,915

I would think those sorts of problems would be generating some trouble codes. Start by checking to see what the computer is telling you.

Thank You, I won't drive it. Code P0300, P0106,C0240, EBCMAL. Please help me get some idea about what's wrong before I tie to dealer next week.

The dealer wants to replace the map sensor- Do you think we should start there? I'm wanting to start with fuel injection cleaning

3,915

Unless you happen to be better trained or more experienced than a professional dealership technician I'd probably follow his advice. The dealership service adviser should be able to explain why they are going that route. Cleaning the injectors is probably a good idea too as a maintenance item, but its unlikely dirty injectors are causing the type of problem you are having.

I understand, and thank you Minton. I'm a female-my "mechanic" is telling me one thing dealer another. In the past, Dealer was wrong about accelerater petal and my mechanic was right. So I'm trying to be more analytical about it before I make a decision. Thanks I'll post the outcome

3,915

Yes, please let us know. And you're right, even the trained professionals don't always get it right. Get them to explain what they're doing and why. At the end of the day they sometimes just have to make the best diagnosis they can and give it a try. Hope it works out without getting too expensive.

So My mechanic replaced the map sensor-2 codes gone but still same problem Just less intense shaking. Still getting code P0300. Dealer can't tell me the problem. I'm running out of money. Should I get a compression test for the cylinders? I had to repair the 6th cylinder 2yrs ago.

3,915

Is there good fuel pressure? A compression check couldn't hurt and won't cost much. If the car is driveable maybe drive it for another week or two to see what codes occur or come back after replacing the map sensor. Maybe try a different shop. Sometimes a second opinion is helpful.

Turns out 2 lifter coils were broke. I had one replaced 2 yrs ago so I had them replace all of them. I got a 700.00 bill. I pick the car up tomorrow so I'll be able to tell how it drives.

Strange situation though. In 2013 the same dealer charged me 1300.00 to fix just the one. This time the dealer charged less to replace the remainder of them. I had them to replace all the springs while the engine was open since 3 of 8 had issues. Was I smart or silly for doing so?