2008 Pontiac GXP Battery Saving Mode & Charging System Failure - CONFUSED!

Asked by Aug 16, 2015 at 04:28 PM about the 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

2008 Pontiac GXP has now starting showing Battery Saving Mode and Charging System Failure again...thought it was the alternator. Midas changed out the battery and everything ran for one day. Those icons are now showing up again. Could it truly be the alternator?

18,810

They just checked the battery not the alternator voltage out put ?

They checked the battery, installed a brand new one (of theirs) and checked the alternator but it read it was fine...

Early in Jun I contacted CarGurus about the TC and Charging System Failure was all over the place. The mechanic had to send the part off and over $1,000 later, it seemed to do well. I heard some rattling the other day...sounded like the belts or the pulleys. Then this past Friday, all the lights went crazy, popped the trunk, horn went off, TC light and Charging System Failure and Battery Saving Mode lights came on. A/C went on and off during the battery saving...A little possession, I think!

18,810

What was the name of the part that the mechanic sent off ?

I will have to ask him again...It was a small switch, the way he explained. It could have run about $650 for just that part but it came back as only $160, no problem. I will reply tomorrow with the info when they are open....

18,810

After he replaced this part and it seemed to run well now that it is doing the same thing have you had the alternator retested to check voltage out put.

The guys at Midas said they did and it was reading fine. But that lasted about 3 hrs...by that time, they closed.

18,810

Have them check the alternator fuse if it is blown alternator will not charge.

I am having the same exact issue with my 2007 grand prix gxp except the air doesnt kick on but my wipers do and it wont turn over at all