Reduced engine power light

Asked by Jun 20, 2016 at 04:02 PM about the 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

2008 Pontiac Grand Prix..my "reduced engine
power" sign came on along with the engine light..i
was in an residential area so i wasnt goin too fast,
maybe 35 or 40 mph..now im scared to drive
across town (30 to 40 minute drive) what could
that light mean?! Ugh

85

a lot of things could cause it. get the codes read on it asap.

3,915

Agree. When it goes into reduced power mode something is seriously wrong. Reduced power is so you can imp it home and then limp it to a shop to get it repaired. It may not need a major repair, but whatever is wrong has the potential to do damage to the engine if not corrected. Get it checked out right away. Hopefully its an easy fix.

3,915

And check your oil. Maybe its just super low.

Ok but ever since that day it hasn't been back on and my oil change isnt due for a next few weeks..but ill get it checked just in case

3,915

So its not running at reduced power now? If that's the case you're OK to drive it, but I'd take it in soon and have it scanned for trouble codes to see what that was all about. You can easily check your oil level yourself. Just park it on a level surface and pull the dipstick and have a look. As long as its showing on the dipstick its not the problem, but if its not, that could be what triggered that emergency code. Make sure the lever is somewhere between the add and full mark. If its at or below the Add line then add a quart, or move your oil change up and have it done now and they'll fill it.

Best Answer

Yeah it only came on one time but i will definitely go get it checked..i don't want anythin happenin while my kids in the car...thank you