The brake lights are on but no noticeable problem?

Asked by Jan 10, 2016 at 11:12 PM about the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Base

I've had this car for about 5 months now and I bought at a used car dealership. I haven't had any problems with it until recently when the brake lights turned on. At first, the brake light would turn on but turn off when you restarted the car. Nothing noticeable was wrong so I just shrugged it off. It did that every once in a while but one day it suddenly wouldn't turn off. On the day it didn't turn off, as soon as i took my foot off the gas, the car would slow way down. It had never done that before so I immediately took it to the shop to get it checked. The man said he didn't notice any problems and all the equipment looked brand new. When I left the shop, it was working perfectly fine, no lights, no slowing. About two weeks later (now) the brake light is on again but there is no noticeable problems. The car shop couldn't check the electrical part (they didnt do hybrids) so I have to find a shop that does. Does anyone know the problem and how much it will cost me?

10

Sounds like a brake light switch to me I'm not sure on the price and they're not to difficult to replace. Check on the floor is there any small broken plastic pieces? There's a piece that feeds through the brake pedal and rests on the switch when you don't have your foot on the pedal when it's like this the lights stay off when you press down on the pedal it disengages the switch and the lights come on. It could be a faulty switch or the piece that presses the switch in could have broken. Let me know when you get the chance to look at it

10

... Did you mean the brake lights themselves or like an ABS light or emergency light in the dash?

It is the ABS light, sorry i should have said that.

73,655

Don't know much about a hybrid but I would think a shop who works on them could scan for an ABS code, they get stored in the computer until cleared. This would tell you what is going on.