Replace one tire on AWD

Asked by Aug 24, 2010 at 05:05 PM about the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD

I blew one tire on my 08 FD Escape AWD Hybrid.  The tires have <12K (of 60K warranty) miles. The shop is saying that I have to replace all 4 due to driveline issues. Is this true?

agreed,they are not honering their waranite,just trying to sell you a set of tires.

9,130

You can potentially cause damage to the differentials if the tires are not all the exact same The weight/circumference difference side to side or front to back can cause them to work harder leading to premature failure. To be safe all four to be replace to prevent expensive repairs down the road.

The above post is nothing but B S,just because it is all wheel drive dont mean a thing,just like on a 4x4,as long as they are all the same size,replaceing one tire will not hurt a thing.

9,130

The same size tire from different manufacture can actually be different circumferences and weight. The cause one side to turn slightly slower making the differential slip to account for the difference. Overtime this heat the diffs up and can actually damage the clutches. If you read the manual of an AWD car it will usually tell you this. If you don't believe me then call some Ford dealerships.

still BS,but you seem to be set in your mind,so replace both tires,front or rear.problem solved.

9,130

because I actually read the manual for that car and have researched this subject

BS again,out of all the questions asked here,you just happen to read up and research this vehicle,I been in the business for over 35 years and seen it all,ASE CERTIFED also CERTIFED STATE INSPECTOR,CERTIFED IN AC ,ALIGMENT,so dont tell me about tire sizes.

9,130

I looked it up so I can give an accurate answer based on facts. I don't accuse other poster of making things up for some unknown reason. Ford makes owners manual available online so you can look it up. I can back everything up that I said.

NO need in argueing with a fool,if you knew anything about cars or mechanics,you would not have to look up answers,bet you did a lot of cheeting in school.

9,130

I know enough about cars to not to give people advice based on assumptions. If you don't want people to call you out on not knowing what you talking about then don't call them a liar. By the way, I did do a lot of reeding in skool but not cheeting.

look butt head,I dont mind being called out on anything,I know my stuff,so call all you want,oh reading was your thing,not spelling for sure,(SKOOL).yep,you a smart one.

1,285

I guess since all tires don't wear evenly, you might have to replace all tires every gas fill? Seriously, measure the tread wear on the remaining tires, and if its only a couple of 32nd's wear on them get 1 new tire, exact same model, same size and manufacturer as the remaining tires and you should have no problem. On a normal vehicle with 10k miles on the tires, each tire is going to have a diffferent amount of wear on them anyways.

learn to spell.

you got nothing better to do than dig up old post,go to hell,is that spelled right.