WE have a 2008 Ford Escape 4WD and the tires growl. Does anyone else have this problem?

60

Asked by Apr 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM about the 2008 Ford Escape XLT V6 4WD

Dealer says rotate the tires. That did nothing. Goodyear dealer say needs new tires. Of course that's what he does, sell tires. Tread is still good but rides harsh and noisey. 43,000 miles.

101,575

Try changing the pressures. Turn up the radio and select anything but Goodyear next time. Consumers Reports and Tire Rack may have noise info when shopping for your next set.

28,675

They are probaly getting cupped on the edges causing the noise. You can rotate them from one side to the other and try to wear them the other way but they will still make noise and thats not a guarantee fix just helps. Like tenspeed said dont get those again. From The factory i thought they came with michelin's thats pretty much the best bet they are super expensive but worth it.

258,045

At 43K are they still the original tires? If so, swap them out for new ones, mine lasted about the same. Went with the Firestone Destination LE's and nice and quite. I still have them on at 40K and still have plenty of life left.

Best Answer Mark helpful
60

I should have included that they are Continental Cotitrac Tires. They have a lot of tread left but I can't take the noise anymore. Makes me wonder if the car is OK.

258,045

I had the same tires and the Conti-tracs are know and ARE loud. Check www.tirerack.com for the reviews and you will see others are complaining of the same issue. Mine started cracking on the sidewalls before the tread depth was low enough to replace. The vehicle is fine to drive, you just have to put up with the noise. If it is a louder than normal growl, you might have a failed wheel bearing, which would make a wobble, grinding , growl noise.

20

It is well known that Escapes are prone to road noise, I mean, a lot, but after some time or miles, the noise increases exponentially... The noise may be due either by the tire type and wear or to bad front axle bearings. To single out the tires effect, try to find a recently paved asphalt road (the black surface type, not the grey cement one), that's still soft. If the noise diminishes notably, it's the tires and the recommendation is to change them. If you still have the noise, then the bearings are the culprit, you'll have to repair them. There's also a lot of noise coming from the firewall between the motor and the dashboard, from the shock absorbers and from the seals on the doors. For the firewall, there are flame proof "carpets" made of heavy fibers that install to the motor side of the firewall. They can also be installed underneat the car under the front seats. This installation requires a certain amount of skill and glue, so maybe a mechanic can help you with this. As for the shock absorbers, they require major surgery... First, the shock absorbers themselves, maybe installing ones like Sachs (http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/sachs/products_sachs/suspensi on_sachs/suspension_SACHS.html) then you'll have to place absorbing rubber pads on the shock mounts. Also, you'll have to replace ALL linkage rubber (black) parts for polyurethane ones (dark orange). And then the seals... Ford saved a lot of pennies installing mediocre door seals. You can find better ones at any major car parts stores, this is an easy DIY project. Also, some expanding foam under the tire cavities and wherever you may feel noise can be transmitted may also help, just be careful not to clog any drain holes.

30

My 2008 Ford Escape is so loud it's unbearable! When you add staining seats, rear window hinges that disintegrate, premature rust, door seals that fall off and Ford dismissing all claims, they should be ashamed. I will never again buy a Ford!

245

If The Tires Are Good Check You Wheel Barings To Make Sure Those Are OK. If Its A Bad Baring, It Needs To Be Replaced ASAP.. Same Thing Happened To My 02' Escape. I Put A New Baring On, Growling, Grinding Noise Stopped..

60

All I had to do was get rid of those D___ Continental tires and then Smooth As Silk. I could tell before I hit the street things were a lot better.

I have a 2007 Escape hybrid. The original Continental tires needed to be replaced at 72k miles because the steel belts were separating. The Ford dealer replaced them with a newer version of the same tire. I figured I got good mileage from the first set, why not the same brand. Big mistake! These tires are so noisy! The Ford dealer spent 3 hours pulling the tires off and checking everything only to find out it was the tires. Absolutely everyone who rides in my car comments on the noise. It's very frustrating. I only have 12k on the tires so I have a very long time before they need to be replaced.

60

We got rid of those squared off Continental tires and bought Michelin and what a difference. Like buying a new car without the payments.

Don't have an answer, just want to know why so noisy. My 08 has 133,000 the tires (Cheap "Black Lion") have become so noisy that I can't stand to drive the car. Still have 10,000-20,000 miles left on them. Had bearings checked, tires rotated, and suspension checked. All Okay. Hate to replace tires with that much tread. Are people finding this common in the Ford Edge?

60

Get rid of the Continental Tires. Go Michelin Touring and you will be in heaven.