PCV tube fitting sits loose where it connects into air filter duct

645

Asked by Jun 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM about the 2008 Saturn VUE XR V6 AWD

I pulled the engine plastic cover off to check the power steering fluid and was surprised
to notice that my PVC line that attaches at the top of the valve cover and then attaches
into the air filter duct work right before the throttle body was incredibly loose where it
attaches into the air filter duct work.  It appears that after all these years/miles(100,300
miles) that oil coming into contact with the rubber air duct has made the air duct swell in
that area and now where the fitting goes into it, it is loose.  There is no design on the
duct to have a clamp go around the fitting to hold it tight(seems like a bad design).  
Anyhow, how should I go about fixing this, because their is such a large gap I would
think I have been sucking in pretty large particles for who knows how long.  The part is
like $70 for new duct work and I don't feel like spending that much money just to fix this.  
Would adding some RTV around it to better seal it fix it?  Anyone else run into this
issue?  Or have you even checked this, knowing it is somewhat hidden by the engine
cover?  This is for the 3.6L LY7.

235

Have you tried looking at an auto yard for the part? You can pull it for yourself and it would be a fraction of the price. If you are concerned with your engine's condition I recommend Seafoaming it. Buy a can of Seafoam and follow instructions. Your engine will work great. You can also use some high heat JB Weld to fabricate your own strap holder, by bonding an adjustable strap over it.

645

Thanks for the help, I ended up using silicone ahesive/sealent all around the top to seal it up. I'll see how that holds up. If I got one out of the junk yard I'm sure it would only be a short amount of time before that one swells and loosens up too. I'm guessing this is affecting anyone with a Vue XR, except they don't know it because the plastic engine cover is blocking it from sight.

I just found the same thing on my XR last night. I shoved the fitting back into the rubber boot on the intake, but not sure if this is correct. Could you post a photo of your solution?

645

My Dad currently has my car, but I pulled this from an Outlook forum, basically this is identical fitting yet the tube connects to the valve cover on the other side of the engine. Either way where it connects to the rubber intake as shown in this should be nice and tight if yours isn't like mine wasn't then I just bought some black silicone gasket maker basically from Walmart/any auto store and just gunk it on where I have shown in green to seal it up and lock it in and you are good to go.

Thanks for the quick reply. I shoved the fitting in too far (to the upper flange near the 90° bend. I will try some adhesive as do not what to spend about $80 for a new duct.

645

Yes I shoved mine in too far too, as it was so loose I couldn't figure out how it went back together. I aslo checked the cost and was outraged at a replacement duct cost. It seems that the hot oil mist coming directly from the valve cover starts to soften and expand the rubber attachment point. This design is pathetic by GM, they should have a way of clamping over it like the other vacuum lines. In the above it looks like the intake for the Outlook is on the drivers side vs. the pasengers side and that is why the tube is so much shorter.Again I used the Permatex black silicone RTV. Comes in a squeeze tube and states that it is fast curing and oil resistant. Remember to clean up the bonding area as best as possible with rubbing achohol and put the stuff on all over the connection and used like a popsicle stick to spread it around. Also do it when you know the engine will at least sit 24hrs. It has held up great for what looks like a year so far!