Nissan Altima 2005 has 'Service Engine Soon' light on and will hardly go when I accerlerate.

Asked by Jul 31, 2015 at 09:00 PM about the 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

My my gas gauge went haywire and the car stalled and then the next morning it says
i'm almost out of gas so I put gas in it but the Service Engine soon light remains
steadily on and a week later, today in fact, i'm driving home from work and my car
always has a lot of pick up n go and I push on the gas and it will hardly go! I really push
on the gas and it moves a little and then picks up speed. What is this? This is a nice
car and I bought it 8 months ago and never had any problems other than not knowing
where the transmission fluid goes. Had it serviced where I bought it and they checked
everything and it was fine and now this. What to do?

Think i would change the fuel filter,then run a little gas treatment in it,if problem is still there,have the fuel pressure checked on the fuel pump.

If you ran it out of gas the fuel pump may be damaged. A pressure test, as T-S-T said, will tell the tale. HTH. -Jim

Hi, the car have a 2.4 lt 4 cil or the V6?

Sorry 2.5 lt. In the fuel tank you have a Sending Unit, this sending unit have the fuel pump and the fuel level sensor all in one unit. If you have the fuel gauge haywire and later you have engine jerking maybe you need to replace all the sending unit. But you need to scan the OBDII for more research. You can have miss fire or flowmeter problems, cam sensor etc.

It wasn't jerking, it just wouldn't go until I pushed down harder on the gas and then slowly it would go up to speed and stay there until I stopped again. I tried going in reverse and it was fine but i'm worried about driving it like this. Today I want to take it to a garage to see if they can find the problem. What is the OBDII again?

The weird thing about when my car stalled was that the oil light was showing but I was able to start it again but it died again and I thought it was the oil so a friend brought me some oil and the next morning I see that it has hardly any gas in it. After putting the oil in I was able to drive home the night before and the gas gauge had done this one other time. I thought I had gas and the next morning the DTE says I need gas. I hope that whatever mechanic I take it to is honest cause I can't afford a big expense right now. I'm too busy paying for the car and auto insurance!

OBD II is OnBoard Diagnostics series 2 (1996 and newer models). Is the check engine light on? HTH -Jim

Ok, so me and my elderly roommate took the car to jiffy lube cause Gabby (roommate) said I had too much oil in it. We go there and the guy checks it and says we don't have too much oil like I said. He also checked the transmission fluid cause I couldn't get the top off and neither could gabby so he takes a pin and opens it up and its low on fluid so he puts some in for nothing! Then we go to a garage and I tell the mechanic everything that's happened and he goes and checks the service engine light right then and there with his machine. I thought it might be the fuel pump or tank or whatever and he said he found the problem and that is was a sensor. We left the car there cause he's doing it today. He also said the gas gauge reading wrong and this were 2 different issues and at first wanted me to leave the car but he said we didn't have to but to come and pick it up this afternoon. We weren't that far from home but that walk nearly killed me! It was quite a ways and I used to be a big walker but not in awhile. I wonder if this will fix the problem. Any ideas?

the mechanics explain to you what kind of issues or DTC have your car?