Car jerks while driving

60

Asked by May 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM about the 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

My car jerks sometimes when i'm driving it and the check engine light came on.  This started about 2 months ago and i replaced the speed sensor and the crankshaft positioning sensor.  It was fine but it started doing the same thing a few days ago.  Any ideas.

8,775

what code is it throwing?

60

not sure about the code. i took it to auto zone and the code they said it gave them was for the crankshaft positioning sensor.

60

I ended up taking it to the dealership. its the crankshaft sensor. I started doing a little research and it seems that a lot of people are having issues with this sensor. Its even caused some cars to just stop while driving. The sad part is that most of the stories i read resulted in having to keep taking the car back to the shop for the same part. Its obviously a defective item but no recall. If anyone hears of a recall let me know.

60

My roomate mustang was popping up with this code and I told him to check the alternato to see if it was good. So we took it off and it came bad so we change the alt and it fixed the light the hesitation so check you alt and there go from there....

60

I know it doesn't make sense but it has to do with the electrical power source.

240

I have the same car (2005 Nissan Altima 2.5L) with the same issue. Initially I had issues with camshaft position sensor. I replaced it an year ago. I got the check engine light a week back and I took it to auto parts shop and found that it is a speed sensor. I didn't replace the speed sensor but asked the guy to reset the check engine light and I didn't see it popping back up. Today while driving to office, I see the jerk at stop light and engine shut down. I started the car back and drove for few more yards and I can see jerks while pushing gas pedal. I parked the car and I can notice rpm raising high. I stopped the engine and came back after 2 hours and I don't see any signs of jerks or raising rpm. Please advise me if you have any ideas on this issue. Thanks!

50

To answer your question it's the transmission

10

Vinayacs, did you ever figure your issue out. I have the exact same issue.

240

Hello, I have replaced crankshaft position sensor and it fixed the issue. First time I replaced it with after-market part from Advanced autoparts and found it broken within an year. Later, I bought the part from Nissan dealer and replaced it myself and found the problem in week or two. I let Nissan dealer do it as it comes with warranty and they did it and replace the part I bought from them for free as it comes with warranty. After that, my car is running completely fine till now (knock on wood). I strongly recommend to do it at authorized Nissan service center when it comes to these kind of sensors.

60

There has been a crab=nshaft sensor recall

60

there has been a crankshaft recall on 2005 nissan altimas

60

My car started bucking tonight no engine light and I'm scarednshitoess help

60

But my cars a 1999 Nissan maxima

30

i drive a 2012 Nissan altima snd its doing the jerking thing... ughhhhh... please tell me its not expensive fix..... hellllppppp...

240

If you see some check-engine light, then I would advise to know what it is. If you don't see a check engine light but your car jerks while driving, my guess is toward crankshaft position sensor. I had the same issue with my 2005 Nissan Altima and it fixed it. I can't guarantee it for sure but in-case if you found out your crankshaft position sensor need some replacement (if is never replaced), it is worth doing with a dealer. I tried with after market part and I found the issue with in few months. If you are cable of replacing the part, buy the part from authorized Nissan dealer. Part costs you around $120 ish. It is one hour labor work so depending on that you might spend around $250. Good Luck!

20

I replaced my camshaft sensor and im still experiencing high rpms when i hit 40 mph the car jerks very bad when i try to hit 50 mph the rpms go high and stay high until i reduce speed at a stoplight. Only car i have and im broke as hell lol any sugggestions ?

Be sure to check all vacuum hoses and especially the hose between the throttle body and the air breather compartment for cracks and small holes,,,Any type of outside air getting in will also cause the engine to jerk and backfire..

10

My car died the same it's a 2006 Nissan altama. Need help. I'm pissed got it today used my car as a down payment

10

At markac11 did you get your car from max auto sells I have the same problem they already changed my engine and transmission and Google and myself changed plenty parts and now this I'M REALLY PISSED WAS stuck on side of I 10 with my family coming from new Orleans car shuts off in baton rouge same story crank shaft position sensor but also had 2 change 20 amp fussaBle battery post all that damn jerking i dont like the feeling being jerked off and no satisfaction lol gotta laugh 2 keep from flashing out know I'm long winded But Please read and HELPPPPPPPPPPPP 2008 Nissan maximum