Fuel ventilation "canister"

GuruGary
120

Asked by Jan 23, 2013 at 06:03 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Impala LS

I own a 2008 Chevrolet Impala.  The ventilation "canister" which allows the fuel system to "breathe" has clogged up twice now.  Had it replaced once, by the dealer, who we purchased it from.  Since then, it has done it again. The problem is, when you fill up at the gas station, the pump keeps shutting off every gallon or so, making it an extremely long and arduous process.  First time it cost me $ 350 to get it fixed.  Now I just deal with the issue.  Why can't we bypass this system with a cheaper alternative repair?

joef
5,665

The solenoid inside the canister that makes the vent open is probably being affected by some sort of electrical problem. There are ways to bypass the system but your check engine light would turn on and your car would leak fuel fumes.

GuruGary
120

The check engine light is on ALL THE TIME. After I had this fixed the first time, I asked the mechanic, "what is the worst thing that could happen if I don't take care of this?" He said that the fuel tank could collapse without the ventilation system working corrrectly. Its been this way for at least 40,000 miles and that hasn't happened yet. It's just a total pain in the A** to fill up with gas because the fuel pump keeps shutting off. Takes 15-20 minutes to fill up the car with gas.

joef
5,665

I would look into finding a new mechanic. I have never heard of a fuel tank collapsing and some mechanics have allot to do with mechanical problems... *Hint*Hint* Just a guess. I've never heard of a fuel tank collapsing. Never.

Flipmode
460

I have a 2010 chevy impala lt. The yellow light is on but I have this problem with this gas leak but I replace the gas cap and I reset it but it still on so can you help me

Flipmode
460

I have this problem with this remote starter... When I try to starter the car with the remote starter the orange light flash but won't start and I check the fuses but everything ok and the car start with the key but not the remote start... It a 2010 chevy impala LT

zuko69
20

@flipmode....The remote start will not work if your "check engine" light is on.

Jonathan Rolon
200

im having the same problem with my 2013 impala LTZ, when i fuel up its taking much longer to start up than usual, it started about a week ago and now my check engine light is on, any suggestions?

6newlife
30

I have a 2013 impala and when I put gas in my car. it won't start right away. it usually takes about 2 tries but each one tries to crank over 6 times. then it finally starts. but rough idle for alittle while. any idea's what might cause this. I have been leaving it running while i'm filling up. then this doesn't happen.

unlucky13
5

for the fuel filling issue everything I'm finding out its the fuel tank pressure sensor, the part runs about 30 bucks, I don't when they took the access panel out of trunk, but with newer models( mines a 2012) you will have drop the tank to replace the sensor. the stuttering to start, I'm coming up with fuel pump, due to the fact the fuel filter is unserviceable on 3.6 direct inject motors