2007 for escape no power when cold

Asked by Feb 16, 2013 at 09:40 AM about the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Base

2007 ford escape hybrid has no power for 1- 2 min when cold. seems like tps or tps sensor. looking for
guidance to repair myself.

There is no "or" the tps is Throttle Position Sensor

The Throttle Position Sensor gets 5 Volts and Ground from the PCM. Once the car starts and is idling, the TPS sends a base Throttle Position Signal of about .9 to 1 Volt to the PCM. Once you step on the Accelerator Pedal to start moving the car, the TP Sensor starts to measure the amount of Throttle Plate opening (caused by your foot) into a rising Voltage Signal the PCM uses to calculate fuel injection, ignition timing, transmission shift points, etc. As you let go off the gas pedal (Accelerator Pedal), the TP Sensor decreases the Voltage Signal to the PCM and returns to its base Voltage Signal, till you step on the Accelerator Pedal to move the vehicle and the cycle begins again.

Still looking for a how to on that..plenty for Escape but hybrid is giving me fits

27,005

A hybrid doesn't work the same as other vehicles. Your escape when you turn the key to the run position should have a green light in the dash saying ready. usually the engine will not start when you try to crank it the vehicle starts the engine when it determines the big battery needs charged or the speed you are at is too high for just running on electric. which if the engine is not running the tps has no effect on operation. the gas pedal has a sensor on it the accelerator pedal position (app) that would provide that input while the engine is not running. in my opinion you should take it somewhere unless you have good diagnostic equipment at your disposal and a good knowledge on how hybrids operate.

ANOTHER excellent answer. When it comes to hybrids it might as well be a nuclear reactor or what is the meaning of life question for me

well thanks for the replies. but what if it wasn't a hybrid. would the answer be the same. i don.t think it being a hybrid matters with this problem. its not a full hybrid. its the first year they came out. i cleaned the throttle plate with cleaner but it didn't improve. someone suggested that i take the plate off and clean it real good with a toothbrush. any thoughts anyone.

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/diagnostics/by-symptom/diagnose-and-replace-a-tps.....best I could find and it's not all that good, the guy teases you with some information then wants $11 to get a real answer, I call baloney on that but there is SOME info

27,005

I gave you my thoughts if it says hybrid its a hybrid it has a huge electric motor between motor and tranmission good lucky fixing it on your own

Seemed everytime I searched tps I kept getting tire pressure sensor and frustrated

yaeh kbro, true, but those early hybrids has as much as a 3.0L gas engine

27,005

Do they really i was almost positive ty only came 4 cyl.

I was very surprised to discover that myself

27,005

Ill have to do more research on it then. Ive been trying to get on the ford site to try to provide more solid info but its been down

ok thanks guys it is a 4 cyl. the problem only lasts for a min or two then everything is fine until the next startup.

Hey Coach6206, my Ford just started doing exactly the same thing. We're you ever able to fix it?