What could be the cause for unintended sudden acceleration in my car?

Asked by Dec 04, 2014 at 11:25 PM about the 1990 Acura Integra LS Hatchback

8,590

Does it happen when you step on the brake or when you are already moving?

Check da carpet mat to see if it's stuck on da accelerator! Dat was da issue with Totoyas, yo!

It happens when I'm already moving & sometimes even after I press the brakes all the way down, as soon as I take my foot off it accelerates right back up without me even toughing the gas pedal.

90,675

Sounds like the cruise control is activating on it's own. Try disconnecting the cruise control servo motor in the engine compartment, if that cures the problem then the cruise system will have to be checked out, could be bad switches sending a turn on signal all of the time.

Best Answer

Thank you! I will try that & hopefully it works!

Well I think we got the cruise control completely disconnected, but it is still doing the unintended sudden acceleration and it seems like it has only gotten worse! :/

90,675

Then you are going to have to dig into the computer control system. As this is not an OBD 2 system you may have to call around to find a shop that check it out.

23,845

There have been numerous complaints about Acuras and sudden acceleration. I'd check the VIN to see if any TSBs and recalls have been issued: http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB ; http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners ; http://www.autosafety.org/category/categories/recalls/check-your-vehicle%E2%80%99s-vin-outstanding-recalls ; ----- with the Acura, is seems the acceleration is affected by a sensor, but what and where you might need to research further.

295

Sure its the iac bro...