2007 Dodge 1500 4x4 won't start.

160

Asked by Apr 06, 2010 at 07:58 PM about the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4WD

Drove to work this morning, when I went to the truck to go home, remote unlocked doors, inserted key and nothing, all instruments lights came one, radio, headlights, but it would not turn over starter, checked fuses tied to ignition, tried jump starting, nothing!  No click. Checked connections to starter, thery were tight. One strange thing, remote will no longer unlock doors, put a new battery in remote, still won't work, got spare key, still no start or unlock/lock doors.  

105

doesnt sound like a battery problem. so it is more than likely your starter. if there is enough room under the truck try tapping it with a hammer then try starting it again. had to do that to a ford out here in the desert. if it starts up look into a new starter

160

What I found out, accidently and after hours trying to get it started. I put a new battery in key, then disconnected positive battery post for 10 minutes, hooked the battery back up, and the doors unlocked and it started. Go figure, my told me about disconnecting the battery, and I rubber gloved high voltage all day with the key in my pocket, I wonder if the high voltage scrambled the chip in the key, new battery and reboot so to speak! Any one got any explinations???

160

My son told me to disconnect the positive battery post.

50

Same thing happened to us. We disconnected the battery cables and touched them together. Then re-connected to battery. Used our second key and it started right up after trouble shooting for hours.

60

same thing happened to me exactly. I just went out and disconnected my battery for ten minutes and its been starting no problem.

110

I have had the same problem. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery always resets it and makes it work. This last time my wife had my truck as i was out of town and she had no clue so she had it taken to the dealer in town. They ran a diagnostic and found that the transmitter/receiver that is part of the security system for the trucks has a problem, and when it doesnt receive the signal properly from the key it activates the security system and will not alow the truck to start. That is also why your keys won't unlock the doors or do anything else. Bad part is they want $675 to replace the receiver and keys I guess. Think I'll just keep disconnecting the battery when it happens.

10

Disconnecting the battery is the way to go. Keep a 1/2 inch wrench and a large screwdriver in the vehicle at all times.

55

You can also disconnect the IOD fuse in the engine compartment fuse box for a few minutes then plug it back in. It is #11 and kind of a milky yellow fuse. The mechanic told me that the WIN module might need to be changed if it happens often. Not sure what a WIN module is or the cost.

40

Wow, Glad to see that I am not the only one with this issue. I found out that there is a static charge that build up on the key and when the key was placed in the ignition, it discharged. This confused the transponder in the key and the truck thinks that someone is trying to start it with the wrong key. ..... Disconnected the negative terminal for 30 seconds and it started right up.... Not even Dodge knows why this happens.

40

my truck 2007 with 96k on it has now done this to me 4 times now. 1st time while waiting for tow truck to take me to the dealr. ( could not open the door due to after market handle covers) on truck when bought. Searched on my phone while waiting found a solution after doors were opened took both cables off and touched them together. all good. second time 20k miles later same thing but doors were open. Same method and third time also. 4th time no luck held both lock and unlock about 40 secs then it worked. Went to the dealer to get a oil change asked about recalls one for airbag. and two out of warrenty items one was a tipm and a flash update 20 dollars each asked if it would help. told them my problem and another guy behind the counter said not sure but he new something that might help. he took fob apart rolled back the rubber shell around the circuit board side and then lift the circuit board out and used the small screw driver and gently scraped off the little dots on the rubber type piece not the circuit board because they get build up on them after awhile my two cents.

30

new starter, just clicks..any solutions?

30

tryed all the above can not get this started!

just follow rallen58, JP, Heymho, do this first before wasting time like what i did, if dont work then you start trouble shooting. i like trucks but having all this BS electronics making things complicated. (more money for dealers) but anyways thanx guys for this blogs. 2008 dodge ram 1500.

Dude. Disconnecting the battery worked. I thought my truck was out of gas. So I put a couple of gallons in. The truck tried to start, start, and then just die. Did that about 10 times, then nothing. Found this forum & it worked. Smart phone just saved me a tow & mechanic fee. Keep tools in the truck. This would have sucked in an area with no phone signal. Thanks y'all for getting me rolling on that road

10

2007 Ram 1500 Quadcab 5.7L Hemi 2-wheel drive with 161,363 miles. I'm having same issues. Engine will turn over, just will not "catch". Almost sounds like it's out of gas. Opened the key housing that has the circuit board with a round 2032 battery on it. Found 2 of the 3 contacts that hold the battery in place broken away from the circuit board. Soldered them back in place, put circuit board back in and closed the key housing back up. Put the key in the ignition and my truck fired up first try. Turned it off several times, removed key from the ignition and fired up every time. Thought I had it fixed. Drove it home from work, about a mile, turned the truck off and tried to start it back up. Same issue as before came back! Truck will not start. Engine turns over, sounds like it's out of gas again. Replaced the 2032 battery in the key fob. No luck. The key fob will lock/unlock doors and pressing the Panic button sounds the horn. All interior lights and radio come on. All gauges move when the key is turned before trying to start. Here's what's strange. When the key is out of the ignition and the truck is in Park, the steering wheel isn't locked. It will turn as if the key is in the ignition and turned to start. Right now, I have the positive and negative cables disconnected from the battery and has been for the past 10 mins. I touched both positive and negative cables together several times (was suggested in an earlier post). Will reconnect them in a few more mins and post my results. Also, I checked fuse 11 (IOD fuse) in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery. It's not blown. Time lapse....20 mins passed with the positive/negative cables disconnected from the battery. Reconnected them tight, truck will not start. Same issue. Battery is less than a year old. Replaced it when old battery was dead last summer. Please help!!!!