my company wont let me put premium in my car anymore even though it is required, what can I do

Asked by Jul 20, 2012 at 08:55 PM about the 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8

I own a 2006 SRT8 Magnum 6.1 hemi

615

Every couple thousand miles you can put cleaners in. But if the car requires premium and you put regular in, its gonna start to run rough. Is it that you use a company card for gas and they dont want to spend the money no more. Start getting Plus. Its a mix of regular and premium

Thats the problem, only will let me use Reg Unleaded. Is there octane boost I can put in or is it just not gonna work?

241,665

Put premium in and pay the difference out of pocket at expense report time?

Ya we tried that. The human resouce lady sitting behind a desk, dosnt care about my requirements. She has made it so we cant use anything but 87 on our card. I let her know I would pay the difference, she said find another car. Nice co I work for. Work my ass off to get this car, now I have to sell it

12,085

why dont you just pay for your own gas instead of making your company pay for it? seems reasonable to me, if i was your boss i wouldnt want to be putting premium into your car either.

Its part of my contract? Really? Im a liquor sales rep and there are no stipulations that say I cant put what is required to put in my car. You must drive your wifes Prius. This didnt help me at all DA

12,085

Actually i drive a 2005 dodge ram 3500 with a cummins turbo diesel with roughly 700 horsepower at the rear tires. which means ill eat your little baby 6.1 hemi, and still get about 26 mpg. Any way, you never stated that it was in your contract that the company will pay for your gas usage at all times, a simple way around only being able to use regular would be to go to the dealership and have them flash your cars ECM to use regular 87 octane gasoline, your going to lose power but youll be able to keep your car.

12,085

That is really going to be the only way to do it, all these additives that say they increase your octane is basically just alcohol with some other traces of chemicals, yeah it works, but over time your going to give your self fuel system issues.

Ya thats what I thought. Well I may have to sell my car then, not as important as my job

I also drive a 2000 Landrover which really eats the gas. Wait til she sees the gas I use for that, lol

12,085

I personally wouldnt sell it, id hold on to it, they dont make magnums any more, and the magnums they did make, not many of them had the 6.1. id get rid of the land rover before i did any thing. you have alot of options with vehicles VW offers their tiguan which is a Dodge durango sized SUV, with a diesel option its about 300hp at the crank so roughly 600ft lbs of torque while achieving almost 30MPG. But like i said going back tothe dealer and doing an ECM flash its like $800 and if you really like to drive your magnum that would be the cheapest and safest way for you to go. your only gonna lose like 5 or 6 horse power. All octane is, is the fuels resistance to detonation/pre ignition (igniting before the spark plug fires). thats it, other than that your regular grade and your premium grade gasolines share the same detergents and what not. its a complete myth that running premium grade (in a vehicle that only requires regular) will have any affects that cant be achieved using the regular grade.