7.3 diesel stalls for no reason.... Changed fuel filter. Any ideas?

Asked by Apr 07, 2012 at 11:09 PM about the 2002 Ford Excursion Limited Ultimate 4WD

Banks 6gun tuner and turbo and waste gate. Dies for no reason while driving

1,395

Does it have a alarm system? Ecm fault idle down relay?

315

what year?? does it die at high temp??

620

I'm having the same problem on my 2001 Excursion. It doesn't get hot, just either idles for a while and dies, or just dies going down the road. It doesn't give any warning at all, just suddenly shuts off. Any thoughts?

1,395

Does a eng warning light come on? And the alarm system may be playing up

620

No ENG light. I'm not getting any warnings or codes.

1,605

If it has a diesel pump that means 1 : your idle position is not properly adjusted 2: your diesel cutout solinite is not working properly 3 : the plunger r getting worn out !

10

Look for fuel leak cause I have same problem n found fuel was leaking from injector pipe so change it n the problem was solve

60

I fixed this same issue on my 2003 diesel excursion 7.3 liter and guess what it's a recall free fix. The Cps module is defective. Cam shaft position sensor is faulty and simply shuts the truck off.

90

Have a 2002 7.3 excursion and the consensus seems to be the CPS sensor....cam positioning sensor. It was the subject of a 2008 recall. Location of the offending sensor is at the 10:oclock position at the front of the crank shaft....its attached to the timing mark arm. only 1 10mm bolt holds it in. If the sensor in your truck is black in color then its the old one and its possible to have it replaced for free at the dealership for free per the recall. The new sensors are a light grey in color and are around 30 bucks at the dealership.......do not buy an aftermarket part from a chinese auto parts store....don't ask me how I know. PS....most 7.3 owners carry an extra CPS in the glovebox.....30 bucks is cheaper than a tow truck.

120

I have a 2002 F350 7.3 as well. In the early days, the dealer suspected cam sensor but since he could not diagnose, he would not fix (under warranty). Years later comes the recall. Have replaced cam sensor twice. This thing still stalls. I can be idling, I can be travelling at 70 mph or any in between. No warning. It will restart immediately, but only if you turn off key first. If you simply turn key to start without doing so, it will crank all day without starting. I have 175,000 miles in 2015 and knock wood I have gotten out of every satll situation, but the last one was dangerous, rush hour in Austin on I-35 lower deck with a too-narrow shoulder. Help!!

105

i have th esame issue right now 03 f350 7.3 and did the cps change over and still couldnt start her up.. after she went dead in her last stall in my drive way and thank god to, i had my 2 little girl at the time.... after 2 days trying to find out what went worng she was flat beded from my house into the desiel shop i will let you know when she comes out what the probelm was.. hang in there help is on the way!!

70

I have an 02 7.3 that is doing the same thing. It stalls at any speed. The first few times it would restart. The last few times I have had to leave it several hours and then it would start. It runs for about 15 min before it stalls. I have replaced the cps twice in the last 2 weeks and still it stalls. Let me know what you find montana09. I desperately need it running. I have 215,000 miles and I bought it new in 01. Thanks joey

60

Same problem here with 01..Dies randomly.. At low rpm..cps changed.. Hpop changed..ecm changed.. ford can't figure it out because it throws no engine codes..some days it idle then revs motor up then back to idle.. dies mainly when coming to stop at light of slowing for turn.. Restarts no problem

90

Lewis n lisa...my trouble turned out to be the IPR...injector pressure regulator. I would stall when coming to a stop or cornering most times but sometimes while just driving. It was also showing no codes.....the dealer told me it was the computer and they could fix it for 1200 bucks. I started by replacing the CPS And went on to replacing multiple other parts before reading about the IPR. contrary to popular opinion it can be replaced without removing the fuel bowl. And can be replaced without making special tools.... let me know if you decide to replace it and I will explain the tools needed.... feel free to ask any questions.

10

Usmctanks61 my truck shut off found out a bent rod

60

Same problem with my 2001 F250 7.3 Dies while driving, slowing down, turning. Replaced fuel filter, cps and still does the same thing. 168,000. Miles going a little crazy!

20

Im working on this 2002 ford e450 same symptoms as the majority.. Runs good then shuts off without warning..i will keep everybody posted..

30

Someone mentioned the alarm system. The horn is part of that. My horn is very sensitive so two days ago I got sick of accidentally hitting it and removed the fuse. The next day it started shutting off at idle and at low rpms. I put the fuse back in and haven't had the problem since.