What should I do?

10

Asked by Sep 03, 2015 at 04:21 AM about the 2004 Mazda RX-8 6-speed

Alright guys so I bought a 2004
Mazda Rx-8. I bought it with 100k
miles the reason I bought it was
because didn't know what he was
dealing with so it was basically a
steal. Now that I have it these rx-8
typically won't turn on after using it
and turning it off. It just won't, it will
crank but won't get there to turn on.
What should I do? Like for example
when I pump gas how I'm going to
pump gas when I can't turn off the
car because then it won't turn on. I
hate having for it to cool down. I fell
in love with this car since I was
young & I can put up with all the
problems this car comes with. I just
need tips and ideas from people who
have had experience with these type
of cars. By the way it's an automatic
sadly.

92,905

The first thing to do is get a good code reader, something with "live data" capabilities, believe me you will need it. Then check for any and all codes stored, finding a thermal open can be a bit challenging as with almost anything operating today it only takes 1 out of whack sensor and your rig will do wierd things. I have been running these little engines sence the R100, the RX8 is the most complex. So do the basics first, get it failure mode, check to,see if you have spark first, if not then there is an ignition fault, could be a sensor, relay, computer, etc. if you have spark then check for fuel, the easiest way is to spray some starter fluid in the intake and see if it fires, if it does briefly then check the fuel delivery system, could be a weak fuel pump, pump relay, even seen an antithieft system fault shut one down. Rotaries are totally different, so get the shop manual, and read up, it can be daunting at first, but once you get going you realize just how simple these engines really are. Hope this has helped. Sorry there isn't just one thing to tell you where to look.

69,695

You know, check what tennisshoes says first, I had one of these with a lot of miles, the bearings to the rotor, so to speak, wore out, seals went to ***, the same symptoms. Fun car though, mine was a manual.

21,985

The rotary can be a project- did you do a compression test before you bought it- good thing you got a "steal" because it sounds like you will be spendin' some money-

15

You cannot turn on a rotary and not let it warm up for 5 min minimum. It floods the motor and the sparks plugs get fouled. I had to have dealer un-flood motor and change spark plugs-$600 lesson! If motor is already warm u can shut off and restart no problem, just can't start cold and shut right off!

10

I know that. Before I actually bought it I researched the hell out of it, the spark plugs were already replaced, how do you know if it's flooded?

92,905

Sounds like someone got taken,to unflood a rotary all you have to do is hold the throttle wide open and crank it over 2 times for 10 seconds each. When the ECM sees a WOT signal and not a high enough RPM it shuts off the injector drivers. I believe that your problem is still electronic not a engine problem. Most rotaries once they get started they will run all day long.