Can I install a Renesis for Automatic Transmission in a car with manual transmission?

Asked by Feb 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM about the 2004 Mazda RX-8 6-speed

Hello

Was wondering what is the difference if any between a Renesis engine for an Automatic transmission and one for a manual transmission. I have an RX-8 with manual tranny, and am getting a deal on an Renesis which was installed with an automatic transmission. Do I need to put a lot of effort in installing this engine in my car?

Thanks
Hari

25

if it's a 6 port then yes

605

The automatic RX8 loses somewhere around 30 horsepower versus the manual RX8 because an automatic transmission can't handle the high revs necessary for the Renesis to achieve its real power. If I recall correctly, peak power is way up around 7.5-8k, which is well above the redline on the automatic models. The engine installed on the automatic ones has somehow been limited to only rev to about 7k at redline, which isn't really going to give you the zip of the manual model. I don't know how much of this horsepower loss is in the physical construction of the engine or if it's a matter of replacing a computer chip. I'd imagine it would be the latter, given that it's the simpler/cheaper option manufacturer-side. Still, it's more than worth looking into, especially as the RX8 of all cars really deserves every scrap of power it can get. Installation seems like it'd be kind of complex, though; even replacing the sparkplugs on the RX8 is a bit of a pain because the engine's been placed so far down inside the bay - it's practically next to your right foot. If you can get down into the guts of the car easily (you are/know a mechanic with all the lifts and engine stands and whatnot) it's possible, but the Renesis, due to its placement, seems like it'll need a lot more effort to replace than a regular car's engine.

It is a solutely achievable as long as your old manual engine is on hand as you will need 3/things, 1/, clutch input shaft bearing and seal (koyo part N326-11-D03), 2 , a vacuum line from the 2 lower injection manifold lines ( auto does not have them in use) and 3 was a 2/wire sensor on top of the injection that is plugged into a one wire loop plug on an auto, my. Car is a 5sp 4 port and I would imagine you would need your computer flashed if your a 6sp manual due to autos being 4 port only