mazda rx8

Asked by May 23, 2008 at 02:08 AM about the 2004 Mazda RX-8 6-speed

is it ok to buy 44000 km done mazda rx8. What i mean to say is that its a rotary engine and its not much dependable

43,565

That's probably not a bad bet depending on price.

85

Have a Mazda dealer run a VIS report on it... If it has not had the PCM reflash recall done on it or wasn't done with low miles the engine maybe have sustained damage due to lack of oiling.... This was an issue on the Renesis engine... Most common symptom was lack of power and stalling when coming to a stop. Make sure you are aware that is car uses high octane fuel and has pretty poor MPG, and must be run up to operating temperature before shutting down or can flood and not start. It is also a metered engine and consumes engine oil, which is normal. This is not a maintain-free car. I was a service manager for Mazda for 3 years can speak from experience.

thank you very much Eric. The car looks fine and i have test driven it. The power was very good, but the owner told me to use the clutch slowly, arousing my suspesion i asked him why. He said that its not good for the clutch if you let it go so rapidly. Are there any way to check the clutch or the engine personally. And being the service manager of mazda, do you think that i should buy rx8, because I am very confused. Many people say that its a crapy car and many says thats its a good car.

85

They are excellent cars, but many who buy them are not aware of their quirks... In my experience those who own them and are auto enthusiasts have no problems because they understand the operating procedures and how to have them serviced. Also, I forgot to mention that these cars love to be run, you have to run them hard like a sports car. I have driven dozens of RX8s. It's not my kind of car but I can see why people like them, especially with that kind of performance on tap with only 1.3 liters. I wish they'd stick that drive train in a Miata. If you have any questions I would be glad to help.

Thank you very much Eric. I will tell you when I will buy the car.

Do you have mazda RX8?

What is the difference between the Wankel and the Renesis engine? Are they the same

350

the rx-8 has a 60K mile engine coverage, buy it, then take it to a MAZDA dealership and claim that it has a lack of power, and ask to have the motor replaced. there is a way to get it to fail,

95

If it does flood, try this: Press the gas peddle to the floor with the engine off, try and crank it for 5-10 seconds. Then wait about 30 seconds - 1 minute and try and start it normally. It should start. pushing the peddle to the floor cuts off the fuel pump pre ignition. OR you could always try and push start it if its manual.

95

they changed that. Mazda issued a revised warrenty to 80k 5 years I beleive in place of the 60k 4 year

95

Oh and the lack of power issue, they will check for it. So if they check the compression and the car if it actually has lack of power, which is I beleive the MSP16 recall. They will just laugh at you and give your car back to you. THeres a certain procedure they do when checking for engine issues.

350

unless they changed it again, the 2004's have a 10 year 100,000 milage.

350

when i worked for MAZDA i had a few RX-8's that i had to do that engine check, and my service manager told me, "Jay we are not going to replace an RX-8 motor, ship it out." but it is a fun, fun, fun car.