The shift lever control display and odometer illumination are working sporadically. Gas guage not working

10

Asked by Aug 01, 2014 at 11:53 AM about the 2004 Buick Century Custom Sedan FWD

My dad has a 2004 Buick Century. The shift lever control display and
odometer illumination are working sporadically. Also the gas gauge is
showing full, then empty, then full again. Never showing the correct
level. I looked up dashboard problems with the Buick on the internet and saw numerous
listings on a resistor board that goes bad. It looks to require
replacement of the 4 resisters on this board. Easy fix which doesn't
require replacing the entire instrument cluster to the tune of $900.00.
I tried explaining this to the buick dealer and to another garage and
they told me that there is no such thing! Any thoughts?

30

I'm having same issues and get same answers.

10

The dealer says the entire cluster needs repair. Where does one find someone to resolder the board? I brought it to a garage that specializes in car electronics. The guy there looked at me like I had three heads! Maybe because I am a woman and most mechanics think women don't know _ _ _ _ about cars!

30

truth is , repair shops & dealers only need your money not your respect or trust , the fix is real , youtube has many videos showing how to solder the old resistors or replace them , in most cases just soldering the olds ones that have a bad habit of cracking , this occurs from 1997-2004 gm models , many mail in your own cluster repair offers sprung up because of all this , lots of money to be maid off this sad reality of very poor engineering & negative capitalism ! we all hate & love it LOL my 03 Buick Century is what I call a money pit & a gravy train for any who ;ove to make wealth off anything & anyone for any reason, these people I've punched in the face many times , yes I do not support greed , so here's the truth , yes you can fix most of the screw ups & over sights but, it will take patients & hard work , I'm replacing the day-night sensor & those little resistors , I've already replaced all fuses & checked for power to all circuits in the fuse box with a test light , I used those cool fuses that are easy'r to see when blown worth the extra $$ , with 140,000 miles its best to replace rather than not , the light switch was replaced at 100,000 miles

I'm trying to find out which resistors to replace on our 2004 Rendevous Instrument Cluster. We replaced the step motors to the guages but can't figure out where the resistors are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.