We have a 2002 Montana 3.4l. and shutting off and restart problem.

20

Asked by May 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Montana 1SE Extended

If your driving down the road it's fine runs great, as soon as you go to stop it wants to shut off.  You have to basically drive with both feet at a light or stop sign.  Then when it shuts off you have to push the gas pedal to restart it again and sometimes this could take a few seconds..... Any ideas please???

17,625

Your kind of question is difficult for me to answer because on one hand there are d.i.y people that have already tried the basics and are still having a problem AND THEN there are people that indicate in their question that they haven't done any d.i.y. yet because they have no idea where to even start. I (at this point) put you in the latter group.........Let's start with - is there any warning light glowing /showing on your dash and then I'll go from there.

10,025

I am just gona add this,pumping the accelarator on a fuel injection vehicle does nothing for you.

20

Well first off, not being a jerk or a** bout this, I'm not an idiot. Second I'm not pumping the gas just pushing it to the floor and then it'll start. Third I've cleaned the throttle body and put all 6 new plugs in cause the others were burnt. No DTC's on in the dash and no codes for this. Also I've checked the fuel pressure and it's at 52 psi. So now this is the point at where I am, trying to get an idea of where to look next, like PCM or something, sorry for sounding like a jack-a@@ but need to get this thing running right.

10,025

Check the throttlle postion sensor

17,625

Reread your original question,it doesn't say that you had tried anything to fix your problem- so no way to know if you knew where to start even with some assistance....1/ no dash light -ok.....2/you scanned for a code anyway-ok.....3/ new plugs BUT NOT WIRES ?.......4/ touching the gas pedal on fuel injected car helps???..... TopShadeTree- do you have a shop manual re: what his fuel pressure should be?.....50 Steve -let's not jump to the PCM quite yet. Going to ponder first and work through sequence as you've said and get back shortly.

17,625

WHOA -- I wasn't expecting that low.I would have thought 50 was okay but wondered. Higher R.P.M. and it runs okay kind of makes me think vacuum line leak

10,025

agree

10,025

i looked at wrong,diagram,chassy,psi is 45psi

17,625

Okay - fuel to rail- ok. Clogged injector, clogged intake air, [clogged exhaust doubtful but?] Because I don't own the kind of equipment to test for 02 and manifold pressure I have to go at stuff by sound (listen for sucking noises) & by taking stuff off (remove air filter and listen to idle,remove cat. and listen to idle)

REMOVE CAT AND LISTEN TO IDLE? Sir, my advise is to please get advise elsewhere. PLEASE