Car will not start after I put gas in it

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 08:09 PM about the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5L

I have a 2005 Santa Few that I bought used.  The
cat runs like a charm, but when I went to fill up the
tank, it would not start.  It would turn over, and
then just cut out.  I cranked it about 10 times and
reved it, and it finally started.   How can I fix this?

10

The purge valve on the emission canister is stuck open allowing gas from the tank to flood the engine when refilling!

3,535

According to what I found after having this problem on my daughter's 2001, it is a very common problem that most dealers or mechanics should be aware of. It is caused by the purge valve in the emission canister, Exactly as jsdanielsusmc0311 said. There is also another valve/switch in the canister as well as a filter. On the 01, this canister is mounted in the stupidest place imaginable, between the driver & passenger seats, and between the front & back seats over the drive shaft, where it is exposed to all road debris, water, salt and anything else that can be kicked up and or sprayed all over the unit. It is all plastic and has a sheet metal deflector cover over it, held onto the bottom of the car by 2 screws or bolts. I have no idea if this affects all years of the Santa Fe or if just specific years. What I ending up doing, because I didn't want to have to deal with this stupidly mounted thing more than once, was to order both parts and the filter, online, replace them all and remount the unit. I did that about a year ago and have been problem free since then, as far as the exact problem you have. A further caveat on this though is: "Never try topping off the tank or rounding up the gallons or dollars when refilling it. It causes a pressure back up on these parts which in-turn causes them to fail. Just lock the pump handle on the slowest speed, and when it clicks off, remover the pump and put the cap back on. After extensive research on this, I did find that it has the same affect on most if not all years, makes and models of cars out there today. That is probably why in most of the owners manuals that come with the cars tell you to pump the fuel slowly and remove the pump never trying to put any more fuel into it. I bet more people would do this if the manuals said why, but I would also bet it is done this way purposely to keep the repair $$$ coming in. I would suggest you shop for the parts online at ebay or amazon, or rockauto.com, or even autozone, advance or O"Rileys and compare prices if time is not an issue. I have also found that despite Hyundai's insistence that you use only genuine OEM Hyundai parts, they usually cost almost twice the price and are of no better quality and also some of the after market parts I have purchased and used appear to be made my the same manufacturer when comparing materials and numbering systems.

925

purge valve