what would be the reason if the car runs rough after changing the battery on 2001 BMW X5.

675

Asked by Mar 12, 2014 at 03:55 PM about the 2001 BMW X5 4.4i

257,375

Changing the battery shouldn't have any effect with the car running rough. Are there any light lit up on the gauge cluster?

675

Yes, brake, abs and check engine light came on. Everything disappeared but the check engine light with an error code of P1343. I learned that if you turn the steering wheel lock to lock all the lights should go off and I did. But check engine light is on and the car is running really rough. Poor acceleration, almost like a misfire. Right after I replaced the battery. I thought may be I missed some reset procedure but I can't find any info on that.

325

Did it go into trans safe mode? This happens when it gets low voltage...it happened to me and I had to take it to the dealership and they had to clear the codes and now it is perfect.

675

yes it did go into trans safe mode. It disappeared after installing a new battery and having seen it again.

325

Ok so you are going to need to take it to the BMW dealership and have the put it on the scanner and clear everything out and then you should be fine. I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

675

I was trying not to go there but I guess I don't have a choice. Thanks a lot. Will keep you informed.

325

I totally understand that....GOOD LUCK! let me know if that helps...

675

Well, found somebody to scan the car and finally got the error code explained. it turns out P1343 is an ignition coil or misfire. Having done a few tune up and crossing the wires, I thought It might so. I am gonna change the ignition coil and the spark plugs. Thanks a lot for your help.

325

Your welcome....I'm glad you found the problem.

675

Hey man, changed the spark plugs. Did not know I had to get 8 ignition coils @ $80 a pop. Changed three so far but its urging me to get the rest. Idling speed has dropped to 0.5 rev and thats a sign check engine will soon follow. Any ideas on cheap but adequate coils would be appreciated.

325

I think that $80 each is probably the cheapest that you could find them...I don't think that's a bad price....I hope that ends up being the problem. ..These BMW'S sometimes gives codes that are not the real problem just because of voltage issues. Sorry I couldn't help more. GOOD LUCK!

675

I really do hope so. I changed the battery with the best I can find from autozone. It has 850 CCA and Amp-hour of 92. It should be ok. Have you heard of anybody who has used non- BMW batteries and had the car run fine?

325

I put a interstate battery in mine and it's fine...everyone I have talked to said to use interstate or get it from BMW....you should be fine, it sounds like a good battery.

675

I guess I have replace the rest of the coils. With 170k on the dash, don't have a choice if I want it to run right.

325

Maintenance is the most important thing on these vehicles.

675

Well, thanks again. Always a pleasure. Stay blessed.

325

Your welcome. ....God Bless!

My 2004 bmw x5 4.4i starts up really rough. And check brake lights and coolant level is always flashing on. But it happened prior to me changing the plugs and installing a new battery. It acts as if if doesn't won't to really crank up but it does and it runs awesome after cranking.. what could be my problem?

I have the same problem my bmw x5 4.4i flashes trans failsafe prog. and once I switch it off it does not want to start. What could be the problem

675

Check battery voltage at the terminals in the trunk, under the spare tire. Requires a little bit of work but it can be done in 5 mins or less.Trans fail safe disappeared after installing a new battery on my BMW X5 4.4l.

Thanks Isiamah, I have installed a new battery and it ran ok for two days and it starterd again could it stl b the battery cz I went to the place I bought the battery n the battery was fine

675

Hmm, well, I will check the alternator next if you haven't. Did you get the battery from the dealership? If you didn't make sure it has adequate power for your vehicle.

My 2001 BMW X5 4.4i E53 runs like a horse jerking. Trans Failsafe Program is on. I tried to reset it but it's still coming back. I was suspecting the transmission fluid sensors and needs to change the transmission oil fluid and filter. But my mechanic told me to get a rebuild tranmission which I really doubt it. I need some help here. I spent fortune on my Bimmer and almost all parts has been replace. I feel my mechanic is ripping me off since I've learned how reset trans failsafe program, replaced the clusters, put the mass air senson, reset the car key and many others. Any suggestions?

675

Hey Adartse, got back to you ASAP. Hope you haven't done anything yet like transmission rebuild. Don't waste your money. Get a new battery. Problem solved. Your battery is weak. Terminal testing gives you inaccurate reading. Let me know how it goes.