My 02' BMW X5 Will Not Start --Please HELP!--

90

Asked by Dec 19, 2015 at 07:24 PM about the 2002 BMW X5 4.4i

My BMW X5 Cranks, but does not start. Here is a list of troubleshooting I've done so far;

1. Checked all Fuses and relays. (Front, Glove and Rear fuse boxes)
2. Checked Fuel Pump, working fine. Also tried priming the fuel pump and the car fired up for a few seconds and then shut down.
Which leads me to believe that the fuel pump is somehow not getting power.
3. Checked Crankshaft Position Sensor, working fine.  
4. Camshaft Position Sensor checked, working fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

47,765

You stated " 2. Checked Fuel Pump, working fine....." how did you check the fuel pump?

90

I checked the fuel pump by removing it from the vehicle and shorting the connections with a battery and activated the pump.

47,765

Fuel pump relay?

90

Yup already checked and tested all fuses and relays

90

I varified the fuel pump relay, first by pulling the relay and checking it with the ohm meter. I also located the horn relay (identical relays) and swapped it out with the the pump relay. No change.

47,765

I guess you need to measure voltage applied to the fuel pump at start up to determine if it is getting voltage. Also there might be an inertia (crash) switch somewhere on the vehicle that needs to be reset. This switch is activated by a hard impact and disconnects the electricity from the fuel pump in the event of a crash. Sometimes they are activated by a bump or jolt to the vehicle.

47,765

Look at the video at the link. I am thinking your BMW has a Battery Safety Terminal that when activated opens the circuit to the fuel pump. This is similar in function to an inertia switch, but it is not resetable........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-XO98LOa3Q

90

Thank you for the info. I'll check the inertia switch once I find it. And also check the bat safety terminal and get back to you with the results.

47,765

I did some reading and if the engine cranks the battery safety cable is likely okay. If you have the owners manual look in it to see what they say about an inertia switch. Keep us posted.

90

So I just tested the bat safety cable, and as suspected it was functioning properly. I'm still in the process of locating the inertia switch, checked the owners manual and couldn't find anything. If you have any idea where it is, or where I should look please let me know.

47,765

I found one for an earlier year X5 (2001) listed at www.rockauto.com, but did not find a similar listing for a 2002. I wonder if they now use the battery safety connection for this now?

90

I checked the site, as you stated, I found the inertia switch for the 2001 but not for the 2002. Still looking around the vehicle to see if I can find it that way.

90

Engine photo 1

90

Eng pic 2

90

Bat compartment

90

Fuel pump area

90

Glove box relay box

47,765

There may not be one. Interesting that there is a listing for the 2001 but not the 2002. I could not find either one on an online BMW parts site.

90

My results are the same. Couldn't find the part. Any other recommendations?

47,765

Do what you were going to do, measure the voltage at the fuel pump when trying to crank it or turning the key to the on position. Has this vehicle been recently wrecked? Are you sure this is not an anti-theft problem possibly related to the key or key(s)?

90

Yes, I pulled the pump out and tested it separately. I placed it back into vehicle, primed it, and it started right up for a few seconds and then it died out. While the pump was installed, I shorted the pump and started up, again only for a few seconds. I'm not sure if the vehicle has been involved in an accident or fender bender, however the frame and the body looks good, no sign of repairs or previous body damage. If the problem involves the anti theft system, what would you recommend I begin troubleshooting?

47,765

Nicolas, I would just be guessing. Study up on required fuel pressure and where to check it. Maybe do some reading on some BMW forums. I am guessing that you just acquired this vehicle?

10

Great discussion! Nicolaus, how did you resolve this issue in the end?