can you use regular gasoline or do you have to use preminum

25

Asked by May 21, 2008 at 01:18 AM about the 1992 Acura Integra GS Coupe FWD

In short Yes.. long answer No. if your car was made to use a certain type of gas then thats the only type of gass to use.

65

Unless it's a GS-R, regular is fine

515

that car shouldn't need premium unless its has a turbo

4,375

Use what the car says it requires. Besides forced induction motors, high compression motors also usually need higher octane, which keeps the engine from knocking, preventing $$$ damage.

125

if the 'Teg is stock... no VTEC, no premium.

145

Generally i've found you can and i've had no problems b4. I own a gsr and have been getting away with 89 octane (i usually go to mohawk gas stations, they use a higher standard octane than a shell.chevron, petrocan). Then again, I haven't been pushing my car all that much to its extremes which in a high compression motor is essential, i understand to reach what the engine is capable of (b18c1). Only put premium in when i'm already super low in gas, put in a fuel cleaner and feel like taking it to the track. Also, i'm not exactly sure of this but I remember hearing this somewhere "The honda/acura B,D series engines compensate if a lower octane than needed is put in". Again, I called my local honda dealer and asked about this and they said it was fine too :S

25

I would not. The reason for the premium requirement is that it provides a higher octane, needed for the high compression of the GS-R motor. If you dont, the combustion wont be as "timely" as it would be if you used the higher octane gas. The knocking you will hear is the valves clanking, which can lead to bending them, and damaging other major parts of your motor. If you have the gs-r, or the type-r (which i doubt), then you should make sure and only feed it the best. (synthetic oil, good quality chevron, or 76, or maybe shell gas, etc etc).

1,355

if you put regular in and it makes a pinging noise, then use premium /plus, if it makes no noise, then regular is all you need. no matter what anyone says using supreme in an engine that doesnt need it is just a waste of money

2,390

That's easy. If the vehicle requires PREMIUM fuel, it will say so someplace on the fuel guage. If it doesn't appear there, you can burn regular or plus.

2,390

If it has Supercharger, HA Sport Zdyne ECU upgrade or NOS it will require premium as well.

9,325

Agreed, they don't make those recommendations for fun. ...and fueleconomy.gov lists no level of integra that required premium for the 92 year. However always check your manual if you have one.

1,235

yeah.. another thing that i have found and verified is that some cars detect the octane quality of the fuel and have programs in place to keep the engine from harm... this generally results in a loss in power and fuel economy far beyond what you would save putting regular in instead... Personally i have a mustang in which im running a superchip system... i have 3 tunes meant for premium gas... the economy tune gets me better gas mileage than i can get in the stock tune with regular gas to the point where i save money using premium... so in short... if it says use premium i would use premium...

185

i don't know about "detecting" octane quality but newer cars have knock sensors. when lower octane gas is used, chances are, the engine will be knocking. the usually piezoelectric knock sensor detects the knock and computer adjusts the timing till knocking is gone. In most case scenarios, timing will be further retarded. retarded = less performance.

9,325

"retarded = less performance" You're going to piss off certain people saying things like that. LOL

185

hahah! i was trying to be serious here but the thought did pass my mind.

2,390

David! If you get time, switch over to the motorsports page and read the thread about the B-series turbo.

I have a 1999 Acura Integra LS the gas door says Premium gas, manual says regular unleaded.

10

My new to me 2001 CL does not say premium on the gauge or gas door but I read n the manual "use premium unleaded fuel only". I read it of course after filling it with regular. I heard no pinging and performance was just like always, still runs liked a raped ape!