Do you have to reset computer after installing a battery

20

Asked by Nov 12, 2012 at 06:53 AM about the 2004 BMW X5 4.8is

We found at odd times the alternator shuts off  leaving only the battery to drive the engine which soon shows
warning lights and then a total shut down and a dead engine, yet the Ign warning light never gave advance warning.
After say half an hour you could jump start the engine after which every thing is in order and the alternator  charging
up the battery

1,430

Undo your negative battery terminal and turn on ignition key leave on for a couple of minutes, turn off key and install negative terminal. It sounds to me that your altenator needs to be replaced, it is working until it gets hot, the altenator is faulty, would not have anything to do with computer, however if u are going to chang it yourself make sure u disconnect negative terminal from battery to prevent shorting the altenator wires against something that would be grounded.

20

Hi there Jwhalen, a nice tip about the ignition key, It's when a problem comes along there are so many interesting things that pop up Probably the best way to learn just how things tick Yes I'm thinking it's the alternator and happy to hear about the computer side of it, hopefully I will get my hands on the X machine next week and have some fun. O' yes I sure will disconnect the battery before work. Many thanks

280

Hi guys, I ran to flat battery and RACV guy who came to fix it disconnected the + terminal and reconnected it. now computer is asking for a code before it starts, I have no idea what is the code. does anybody knows how to reset this code please? Is it OK to charge the battery with external Charger through the jumper points while the battery is fixed in the car?

92,065

I don't know anything about the code. You can charge the battery in the car. Start a new thread so people can respond. The thread you are on is four months old.

70

I need help x5 factory radio replaced battery asking for code, was told to turn key in 1 position but what else help lights everything is working won't start keeps asking for code

80

i was gifted to me BMWi 5series 30,000 miles -2012 but the battery is new and need a boost often it dies, Can anyone tell me whats wrong.

160

Hey I have a 2001 BMW x5 3.0 can someone tell me how do I fix this problem I bought a battery and put it in and now my gauges don't work do anyone know what the problem can be

20

Dhablame I have 2006 x5 that did the same thing! I turned the car off unplugged the instrument panel fuse behind he glove box.. Turned the car on... The. Back off to reinstall the fuse... It worked once the panel was reset. Hope this works!

10

I have a 2006 bmw x5 car wont battery die i jump star but looks like start but doest the car was park for couple weeks in a body shop the guy from the shop said was the battery cable the one in the rear positive with fuses

10

I have a 2005 x3. Replaced the starter a month ago, the alternator 2 weeks ago, 3 days later alternator is fried again. replaced alternator Now my car will not stay charged still. Both battery and alternator our testing good. Will the battery reset resolve this issue?? I also read the IVM module may need to be replaced. Need help, the mechanic I took it to said he couldn't figure it out.