Severe problems and poor handling by Porsche. Cayenne S 2008

10

Asked by Aug 08, 2010 at 05:28 AM about the 2008 Porsche Cayenne S

Hi all,
thought you should know. Below is a copy of 2 emails (of a chain of many) sent to Porsche HQ:
Dear all,
It has been almost 2 months since I first contacted you with my car issues. Until this moment, I have not been contacted by a Porsche HQ representative (besides emails promising me that I will be contacted shortly). I am certain that this negligence and poor service would have not taken place if I was living in the US or Germany!
My car still shows the same symptoms and problems as it has been showing in the last 9 months. The list of repairs below is not of accidental probability. There is a problem with this car and Porsche fails to find it!
I cannot express how frustrated I am with this situation and with your lack of will to resolve the problem. I am even more upset with the fact that this car represents a LIFE HAZARD as it showed that it can switch off the engine during high speed driving and Porsche does not care. (and I refuse to accept any explanation that the cause has been fixed as the same symptoms that were before this incident still exist).
I am certain that if a 3rd party examiner, or even a Porsche employee would drive the car for a few hours, he will notice the problems in this car.
I expect a certified reply or phone contact from Porsche during the upcoming week, with a plan how to detect and solve my car’s problems. If you continue to ignore my repeating requests for assistance, I will have to find a way to make my voice heard and get your attention. I also feel that any Porsche customer and anyone that considers buying a Porsche should know the facts detailed in the email below (and other emails sent to you before) and the poor way of handling by Porsche.
I am sorry things are this way and I am sure every one of you, personally, would have probably been less patient that I am.
Tamir Poleg
+972-544997447

From: Tamir Poleg [mailto:tamir@optimum-inv.com]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 2:54 PM
To: 'contact'
Subject: RE: Your e-mails from 28 June 2010 and 01 July 2010 (5122549)

Dear Sabine and Sonia,
Your email was sent 14 days ago and stated that I will be contacted shortly. I have not received any contact from a Porsche representative!
Last week, I initiated a contact with the local service center and asked that they check the car, for the 15th time (I think). They told me they were contacted by Porsche in Europe and I delivered them the car.
I was notified today that they performed various checks and the car is OK from their point of view.
I have heard this from them each time I came and always there was something wrong afterwards.
How can Porsche claim that a car that went through a series of events, in a 9 months period, that resulted in the following actions is “OK” by Porsche standards?:
1. Replacement of DFI pumps
2. Disassembling of the engine
3. Replacement of fuel sensor
4. Open air filter
5. Replacement of fuel pumps
6. Engine shut down in 130 km/h

Are those common set of failures by Porsche’s standards???
I am confident that very soon another failure will occur (as the last few months taught me) and then again, I will be helpless dealing with the very low technical level of Porsche’s service center and even worse, the extremely poor service level from local Porsche and Porsche headquarters, whom you represent. The level of support and seriousness from Porsche’s side dealing with this case is a disgrace.
I am sorry to sound like that. I do not know many people who would stay as tolerant as I am facing this situation. I do not feel safe driving this car until someone finds the nature of the problem causing all these malfunctions and failures.
Let me assure you: Porsche will be held responsible for the fatal implications that might be caused by the poor handling of technical issues in this car. Learning from the past, it is only a matter of (short) time until the next failure occurs and when it does, let us all pray it will not involve human casualties.
Please accept that as a notification and a warning!
Tamir

1,955

It was a LONG read and yet the only thing that would constitute an unsafe "handling/performance" of your vehicle was the engine "cutting off" during "highspeed driving". Without better description of your vehicle's performance problem, ie. the speed and road conditions when this cutting off of the engine occured, etc. it would be difficult to establish whether a problem, indeed, existed! My take of the situation is that the vehicle's electronic stability system was trying to prevent your vehicle from losing control in unsafe speed/condition by cutting the engine power. Since you haven't got into an accident and nor is the dealer able to demonstrate mechanical failure, the work performed to your vehicle were really "window dressing" solely to satisfy you. Without more facts, it would be hard pressed for Porsche to move forward with your claim. As an avid reader of this forum, I look forward to hearing more facts relating to your vehicle's performance/handling problems so I can make some sense out of it. Porsches are special, good luck and enjoy.

10

well, the engine shut down was on a highway in perfect conditions (no rain, 25 degrees celcius, smooth road etc.). Porsche determined it was caused by a failure of the fuel pump. 2 weeks ago I went to the service center and was assigned a mechanic to go on a test drive with me. He determined that the car has a "shaking" problem in various speeds and replaced the gear computer. that didnt help. I then wrote to Porsche's chairman and top management and they forced the technical team here to invite me to a meeting. in the meeting they claimed that there is nothing wrong with the car! How absurd is it? the car keeps failing, their mechanic tells them there is a problem with the car but his managers say there is nothing wrong! This is far from what you would expect from any manufacturer and especially from Porsche when it comes to reliability and service. my next step is to engage a certified well known car examiner that would take the car for a day or two and write a review that would also be published in local car magazines. Tamir

20

I had the same thing happen to my brand new Cayenne in the summer of '11. I was traveling, with a full tank of gas, on a dry, straight highway at about 50 mph when the engine just quit. Fortunately I was able to pull off the road safely, and the car started right back up. I had it in for service, and they could find nothing wrong and had no explanation. It's never happened again, but a few months later I started having check engine light alerts, and the car was in and out of the service center several times. . .once gone for almost two weeks. It has been running fine for the past few months, but I am waiting for the next issue. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I am seriously thinking of trading it in on a Ford Explorer. All my kids drive Explorers, and their cars NEVER need to go to the shop.

1,955

It was between the Cayenne S and the Ford Flex (turbo) and I took the Ford. Love its ride, handling and reliability, but miss the much more refined German interior appointment and perfect body paneling and paint.

20

Thanks. . I will likely make the trade. It is fun to drive the Porsche, but I need reliability (not to mention the ease of things like Explorer's push button seat folding option for additional cargo space. . .Ford seems to have put a lot of thought into make things work!)

I had the same problem a few years back. However, after the dealer changed all 3 fuel pumps. the problem went away. My car is at the dealer as we speak to change the third fuel pump or what they term as the fuel regulator only at my expense this time. apparently, the Cayenne has two pumps (Upper & Lower) in addition to the fuel regulator / Pump which is located at the back of the Engine. Basim E Al-Mislim +9665 0584 7521

HI, IT IS AMAZING THAT A CAR THAT COST SO MUCH MONEY WOULD BREAKDOWN SO OFTEN,NEVER MIND THE PAINT AND PERFECT PANELING THAT IS ALL BULL, WHAT GOOD IS IT IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE THE DAMN THING. THIS IS WHY LEXUS IS TAKING THE GERMANS TO THE CLEANERS THEY DRIVE NICE DON'T COST AS MUCH AND DON'T BRAKE DOWN EVERY WEEK.

Im quite amazed that I'm reading all these bad stories about Porsche Anyway I'm new to Porsche, bout my new cayenne s only 8 months ago and had one little glitch where apparently there was too much oil in the engine so the dealer drained it Now I have a more concerning problem that's with the preheater plug light staying on and the engine light also staying what's worse is that there no acceleration. When you need more power it's as if the whole throttle distance has no effect it only seems to cruise at about 50mph I'm hoping Porsche will resolve this issue quickly as I'm not patient with this kind of thing, yes you are right, all this money and the car starts to give me this kind of problem is not on, we were contemplating going for a long drive to southern France what a misery that would have been ? I Will let to know how it goes.

Just bought a 2008 ctt. I like it so far