Ticking in motor, 2.0L auto trans.

Asked by May 05, 2008 at 04:46 PM about the 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Hey guys,
Just wondering of any of the Protege guys out there has a really loud ticking, almost sounds as if theres pinging metal under the hood. It only happens when the car is hot and at perfect idle. As soon as throttle is opened what-so-ever, it stops. When the hood is open, the sound looks like its coming from the tensioner pulley, or around one of the pulley wheels. No body has any idea of what it could be, so I'm looking to see if anyone has this as well.

Thanks

it could be the tensioner pully, but if its pinging when hot and at idle, its most likely a valve tick. simple fix adjust your valves.

235

this vehicle does not have a tensioner pulley. but depending on your climate this engine takes 10w30. make sure you are using the right kind and the right amount

5

I had the same problem with my Protege. I took it to the dealer to have a look. They said it was the gasket which I didn't really get it. Other car shop said it was a metal chip on the exhaust but no big deal to fix it. Anyhow I asked the dealership to replace it and I also got a new timing belt. The engine now is perfectly normal. Just bring yours to a Mazda dealer near you and get a quote from the technician.

935

When was you last Oil Change? Could be a different problem, but in my 351, when the oil gets low, the lifters tick and clack like mad... (and I've got an Oil leak, so it's happened...) Check to make sure the oil is full up. once it's happened I doubt it will ever fully go away... but it will quiet down... if it's the same problem.

I got 2003 Mazda protege that tab when crank it up with 115,000 miles what type problem is that

?