Recommended set of winter rims and tires for a 2008 Impreza WRX STI

20

Asked by Aug 28, 2008 at 07:28 AM about the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Turbo AWD

Hi there,

I need to purchase some snow tires for my WRX. Any recommendations out there?

Thanks

not sure if they carry them but I've run perrilli scorpion's on my cayenne and they have a nice mixture of performance and snow/ice grip. In any case, check out www.tirerack.com - they have customer reviews of each tire by make and model and they have good price and can ship you the tires. good luck.

25

i have had expensive snow tires and have had the cheapest.. blizzaks are great if you plan on a new set every winter.. then i had winter forces which where $40 a tire and i loved them.. drove them till summer.. now if your looking for the best.. long life and ultimate snow tire, it would have to be the Nokian Hakkapeliitta.. only a few people know of them and the ones that do are usually aggressive drivers.. and about RIMS.. buy a set of stocks from ebay, new or old ( 2005 up, 04 and older have 5-100 lug pattern ) .. you dont want wider, weaker, heavier after-markets wheels, stocks are perfect if you touch a curb here and there.. and dont buy wider snow tires, thiner ones cut down to the pavement for better reaction. ounce you have snow tires, you will never want to play in the snow with out them.. good luck and slide.. http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php? pid=50681&l=6ef48&id=1346236274

45

I had Blizzaks(sp) on my wrx and they are great. It was amazing even in very deep snow. You can see my videos on Facebook and Youtube. Thats with thouse tires. They are very very good.

65

I don't know much about snow tires, but I used Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season run-flats on my Mustang GT and did fine in the snow/rain/whatever and could really open 'er up on dry roads. The tires were perfect to me.

405

For my STI, I bought Hankook W300 Ice Bears. I've used them for two winter seasons and I loved them. I wrote a review on the blog here: http://istargazer.blogspot.com/2006/11/hankook-w300-ice-bear-winter-tires.html

405

I forgot to mention that I bought new rims for summer, and just used the stock BBS rims for winter. http://www.flickr.com/photos/istargazer/346918700/

Gislaved, get the studs too. My Sport doesn't even invoke ABS or traction control on hard-packed ice in Yellowknife.