I own a 2006 4Runner, V6, Sports Edition. Does this model have a timing belt OR a timing chain?

Asked by Feb 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM about the 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V6 4WD

GIRL QUESTION!!!!     I'm approaching 90k miles on my 4runner....time to change the timing belt ...so I'm told.  However,  I've read on the internet that the V6 engine has a timing CHAIN.   Will my local mechanic be able to tell me if I have a chain vs belt without ripping apart the engine?  Or, do I need to bring it to a "SteelerShip" ?  I've also read that it is good to change the water pump at the same time.  Is this absolutely necessary?

It has a CHAIN. good luck!

if it breaks, this is not the end of the world.

Yeah!!!! I heard a chain is good!!! so if it breaks my engine will survive...is that what you are implying by "the end of the world"? :)

Really couldn't say for sure KatesToy. My toyota 22R engine died when I came out of the post office. sounded weird, and the distributor stopped turning. AAA towed it back to the ranch and it was raining. the chain had shattered the oil pump housing, but it went back together. Still sounds like a coffee can full of marbles, but I'd still take this buggy to los angeles- Please don't talk of chain breakage, it's a dice roll, fortunately we wer able to piece ole bessie back together, got tired of the crampt quarters, so my silly wife insisted on buying me a MINI, but must have automatic-yeeesh-

Still have ole bessie with 150,000 and I've been told it can go another 150,000 it's just gettin' started. I'll go stark raving mad if I've gotta sardine myself in with no power steering....yuck...but it does haul everything without complaining...but I complain alright!

No need to change anything at this time, as your engine has a timing chain and will be good for a good while.

Bigtimebama, you sound lke a jedi mind trickster....you should be sweeping your hand in a sideways motion as you are speaking this...

It is a chain. My 2005 Sport is just passing 153k miles. I would have the dealer do your maintainence but make sure the maintainence is reported to Toyota of USA so the same maintainence is not repeated. Btw I just pulled 2 horses and a trailer 1200 miles w/ my 4Runner without a problem. Your girl will take care of you if you do the same.

My father in-law was a parts inspector and when they set him about the task of inspecting toyota parts he said every part was DEAD ON, that's when every car he bought thereafter was a Toyota. very reliable....yawn.

I cleverly changed the timing chain on my mecedes 230S by linking tne new chain onto the old and turnin the motor slowly till it came up, and linked the new one to the end of the new one again and saved myself a lot of headache of disassembly....cheating!

Your v6 yoda has a chain. My wife has a 06 4x4 and is very low maintenance. There is no need to pull you engine apart to inspect the chain. More than likely you wouldn't visibly see anything (If its visible, you'll probably hear it). As the chain stretches (naturally will over time), your engine will become noisier. I've heard some pretty rough engines due to this, and seem them get another 100k out of it. If you keep the service up on it (oil change, a/f, spark plugs, etc), you should be worry free for up to 300k on the engine. The auto trans is a different story :-(. http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php is a link to Toyotas website. Type year, model, mileage and it'll pop up with what's due. At 100k you'll be due for coolant flush. Strongly rec using factory red Toyota (yours should be sold as premixed at dealer). Gearboxes (if 4x4/rear if not) may be due soon as well. Toyota isn't very clear about when these should be changed. It mentions changing the limited slip fluid at 30k then I see no other mention of it. We were towing a boat, so I changed every 30k.

how to remove and replace a taming on a 1999 toyato camry

Timing chain replacement is at 210k miles, per Toyota dealer, so hopefully you are good for a LONG time yet!