electrical issues

Asked by Nov 14, 2008 at 07:46 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD

here's a doozy for anyone who is an electrical genius and can figure out what really ails my truck:

Here are the issues:
1) lights have gone out while driving during the night (this has happened 2 times) I put my flashers on then fiddled a little with the ignition and after about a minute they came back on

2) Sometimes the car desn't want to turn over it grinds 3 revolutions graoning and moaning then kick on...sometimes I have to resatt then kicks over ok. Thia has happened about 6 times

3) Stalled at a red light. 1 time

4) "no air bag" light comes light comes on. 2 times

5)" get engine checked" light always on. Depending on whether I'm hauling a trailer it is intermitten

6) Battery light came on the a message about no charge getting to the battery. That went away after I jiggled and fiddled with the wires.

7) Today I put the air on 74 degrees and blew the fan on hight for about 8 minutes...then turned the fan way down to lo and as I accelarated the fan blower went from lo to high depending on the rpms and as I accelerated the sound was louder than normal. Usually I hardly here my car running. The blower issue went away when I turned the air off.

8) The other day I noticed that all the little buttons on my steering wheel were burning hot.

9) And the water gauage was not working... the needle laid all the way to the left (cold) while the other guages all indicaed normal activity including the battery guage (This information is no doubt pertinant to all the other itemized issues)
Any ideas as to what might be ailing my Trailblazer? It's an 03' straight 6 and I replaced the alternator 2 years ago and the battery 6 months ago (3rd one) And I live in South Florida...

8,125

electrical is not my forte, with that being said lets get started... First get the code read that is turning the check engine light on... Then check all your battery cables is sounds like you could have a loose one or a bad connection... If none of that sheds light on the situation, I'll need a volt reading across the battery terminals at idle... This will eliminate several possibilities since these can be caused by low system voltage.

355

With the Trailblazers there quiet a few iussues with the ignition switches, but it sounds like more thn that. You're going to have to take it to your GM dealer to get it diagnosed.

4,655

As Rich McClure mention I also recommend having a GM dealer diagnose the problem. However my first guess would be the defect Body Control Module and/or other associated Module would be defective. Even if my guess is correct, it could require an expensive GM Scan Tool to program a new module, which again I agree with Rich's recommended action. Then again does your Trailblazer have OnStar? assuming you have the service, digital equipment upgrade and your Trailblazer has Remote Diagnostic capabilities, just another idea, but could be more money than you anticipate. Otherwise Onstar can observe exactly what is going on with the vehicle and send the information to a nearby GM dealer. Therefore being able to zero in on the problem.

105

3. the reason why it stalled is maybe because of a bad alternator or alternator belt, so it wouldnt be giving the engine and accesories enough power so it shuts down. 1. the lights are automatic, as soon as they sense darkness they turn on and there is a switch for them to the left of the steering wheel almost beside the door and turning that to the left turns lights off, even when its running and high beams are used through the turn signal stick. so it could be something with an error there. or could just be turned off accidentally

95

I think the root of the problem is it's a Chevy, they really skimp on build quality for little things.

7,185

ha yeah ok. chevy is a bad company. even though they have dozens of models that go until 300k miles or more without issues.

105

aha ya also chevy has the same truck as gmc envoy, buick rainer, oldsmobile (discontinued) bravada, saab 97-X. so allll of them except the saab are the same. saab is just sweeeeet

4,655

Though they are not perfect, they are not as bad as you think they are. 1991 Chevrolet Corsica went 218,000 miles 1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro has about 160,000 miles my 2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 184,500 miles and still going

4,655

Buick Rainer has also been discontinued as well, way too much model duplicate without distinct differences.

105

yaaap yet they still make the same ones buick enclave, gmc acadia like make somethin different for once. then now the trailblazer is taken over by the traverse

20

ok well I have an 06 Chevy Trailblzer LT with heated leather seats and a bunch of electrical issues it would take me all night to say but just a couple of things the drivers door automatic controls dont work cant roll my window down or may not get it back up it and that happens to be where the control for my heated seats are and living in Iowa in mid winter and having leather seats with no heat and the heat in the truck working only half the time in the front is not cool actullaly that makes my leather seats extremley cold it chills me to the bone apparently there was a recall on the door controls and it was fixed once as I bought it used and I said well apparently it didnt work because the same issues are happening again it turns its self on and off when it wants to and I can actually hear it in the door when it does that and I have learned it is a fire hazzard so this scares me and I worry sometime my heat wont turn on and I will freeze to death if this winter doesnt end it is the coldest its been in decades with negative 20-40 below many days and I have to depend on my vehicle to get me to work and back which is 35 miles from my home and I cant depend on it and of course this all got the worst in the winter we know its electrical and my family has always been Chevy people there are some out there that run forever however I have researched the 06 trailblazer of course after I bought it and started having problems and I said and what I reccomend is that from now on when I buy a used or even new vehicle I am not gonna get it right away I am gonna give it a couple of days and do a lot of research on problems and recalls the vehicle has or had this electrical would normaly cost around 1,000.00 but we have the best mechanic and the cheapest and he is a whiz at electrical so it will only cost about half that but you would think GM would do more than just the couple of recalls they have done on it they need to recall the entire electrical system this is all I have to say about this it makes me angry to talk about it and partly because of the used car dealership I bought it from wont help at all

Talk about run-on sentences. That was a doozy. Could these problems have to do with a bad instrument cluster? I just bought a 2003 Trailblazer LT with the straight 6 and 4wd, with the instrument cluster as-is and a warranty on the rest of the truck. But it does weird things, like the dash lights, interior lights, and stereo all lose power when you put it in gear. The 4wd mode selector knob doesn't work so it's stuck in 2wd. And the back seat power windows only work in Park. And of course all the gauges are useless. I'm using an android app for a speedometer but that won't tell me if my engine overheats. It doesn't look that expensive or that difficult to replace the instrument cluster but it would be reassuring to know that's what's causing all my other problems.

10

Being an owner of a 2002 Trailblazer, I might be able to answer a couple of these questions. I know this is an old thread, but may be useful to someone currently experiencing issues. If your 4WD selector switch does not function and is stuck on 2WD or blinking, most of the time this is due to the TCCM not "waking up" when you start the car. I've had this issue sporadically in my vehicle, though not enough to warrant a fix. Usually after a time or two starting it up, my 4WD switch behaves normally. If your selector switch is not working, you may be able to pull a TCCM from a 2004+ Trailblazer, but you will need it programmed at the dealer to work properly with your 2002-03 vehicle. Stalling at a red light can indicate something as simple as a failing CPS (crankshaft positioning sensor). I had this happen a couple of times after I purchased the vehicle. The CPS costs about $20, and takes about 5 minutes to replace (one bolt, very easy). The OP sounds like they are having electrical issues, but are probably experiencing other problems as well (I wouldn't lay all of these problems as an electrical-only issue). There is plenty of information out there for TBs - check trailvoy as an excellent resource. All in all, the trailblazer is a decent vehicle. The first couple of years (2002, 2003) are notorious for having design flaws that were fixed in the later 2004+ versions. Before spending a ton of money at a mechanic, investigate these issues yourself. Anyone with some time, patience and decent mechanical ability should have no problem performing some of these easier fixes...

Check low beam relay that was my problem