do the suv have a floating gas bobble, cause mt gas needle has been stuck

Asked by Dec 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS

my SUV
gas needle has been stuck for quite a while and I wanted to know if the bobble could be stuck and how could I get it repaired?

8,170

Fuel sending units have an arm with a float attached to a potentiometer. The fuel reading can get stuck if the float is against something like the baffle or the wall of any tank they are used in. They can get stuck reading or they can act like they are unplugged. a sending unit that is acting unplugged would have an open circuit. for example. If you could inspect the connections, you could learn more about yours but if you have to run tests you want a DVOM, the tank lowered, and the safety precautons for fuel, and hopefully a technician's help. He can read it and tell what is indicated, and then compare to the gallons estimated in the tank. Less fuel on board is better so it can be handled. Then after repair, he can add to the amount from a can if necessary. If yours has not been worked on then the likelyhood of a misaligned part is less and a failed part is more.

21,995

Probably needs a new sender-

8,170

The wear or contact of the potentiometer's wiper can be at fault within the sender, Or it was snagged during assembly and is not together as it should be, making things far apart. Hense the term, open circuit or open in the pot.

8,170

Having checked fuses or circuit protections first, you want to inspect the wires and their connectors. you can verify signal glows a test light to the unit, and see what ohms to ground are at the sender. that should be enough to decide to take it and have it done. The labor may make you want the pump at the same time, preventative maintenance is up to you.

8,170

O yea, loose connector fit has been reported on some of these manufacturers vehicles. do not let that fool you.