2004 Tahoe Z71 brake lights not working. I replaced the bulbs, fuses, and brake light switch and they still are not working. Any ideas??

170

Asked by brivas Sep 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4WD

I replaced the bulbs, fuses, and brake light switch and they still are not working.  Any ideas??

19,265

Inspect the trailer hook up wires. Make sure the t-plug has not come unhooked. Also, you should have two fuses for brakes. make sure to inspect both.

Best Answer Mark helpful
170

I replaced three fuses, two for the brake lights and one for the third brake light and cruise control. Can you tell me where the t-plug is? I've never used the towing components. Thanks!

19,265

Back track the trailer plug. It will run to a t-plug where it connects to the brake lights and the main harness. Your tail lights run through the t-plug so if it fails.. No brake lights. And it is quite common. The t-plug is usually tucked up behind the bumper (different on every vehicle though). Once you find it, I would just unplug it and connect the tail lights up to the main harness directly. See if that fixes your problem.

Best Answer Mark helpful
19,265

Here is a photo to give you an idea what to look for

19,265

Additional question.. Do your turn signals and hazard lights work?

170

Yes, turn signals and hazards work. Cruise control does not. Symptoms seemed to match bad stop light switch, but replscung it didn't help. The retainer clip is in place, as well.

19,265

If there is any fault in the brake light system, the cruise will not work. But the brakes also run through the turn signal switch in your Tahoe from what I see, so since the turn signals are working, then we know it is good.

110

I'm having the same problem, voltage has been checked and all is good, signal lights, tail lights, hazard lights and all fuses are ok, Replaced the box under the dash, after that the gear shift would not go into gear, Thought it was a bad part so got another one and same thing. Put the old box back on and still no brake lights but it would go into gear then. I do have a tow package. Any ideas on this???

110

The vehicle is a 02 Tahoe. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

20

I'm having a problem with my 96 Chevy Tahoe , when my truck it's off the break lights work , and when the tuck is on the break lights are on at all times and won't work need help please , ps my right turn signal don't work as well

80

I have a 2004 Chevy suburban Z71 4x4 and signal lights work on left but not right side the light stays on changed bulbs and even bought new flasher but it does the same thing signal likt will not blink it also has a third light brake light out would that be my problem? ??

80

I have a 2004 Tahoe and the center mount brake light want work. The brake lights work. I replace the center mount and still want work. What do I need to check next?

120

It is the wiring harness just above the brake pedal that leads to the brake light switch. I've been struggling with this for a year on and off if you crawl in to the floorboard and take a small screwdriver like the one used to fix eye glasses and press the wires in to the harness it will fix the issue for a while. The cruise control will work as long as the wires are making a connection but if the brake lights stop working again so will the cruise control that's how I test to see if my brake lights are still working while driving if the cruise control won't work there is a good chance you have no brake lights again. To permanently fix the issue you will need a new wiring harness.

70

I have 01 suburban blinkers, hazards, taillights & third brake light all work - NO BRAKE lights only issue, does anyone have a schematic for a suburban, I would like to know - are there any fuses for brake lights in the back of the vehicle? Thanks for any help!

110

I have a 2004 tahoe z71 tow package all lights work except left brake light

110

110

I THOUGHT we were supposed to be getting SMARTER... WHY do these car manufacturers have to make simple things like a brake light circuit so freakin complicated??? AND expensive!!!

20

I have a 2000 Tahoe . I replaced the mutifunction switch with a new one and now no break lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

40

I have a 03 Tahoe and my right brake light stopped working one day changed the bulb still not working. Any suggestions I’ll hate to have to pay another ticket