The dealership removed then lost the engine cover pieces from my 2006 TDI. They tell me I don't need it. It only damps some noise. Is this true? They won't replace it as it costs $500.

20

Asked by Nov 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM about the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Baloney. They are trying to take you for a fool. It does more than dampen noise, and even if that's all it did they have to replace it. It was put there at factory for a reason DO NOT let then get away with this. Start polite, and if the dealer still refuses throw a fit in public, make sure customers can see.

Call 1-800-822-8987 - VW Of America Corporate Customer service -VW has a bad reputation lately as is. They should not make it worse than it is by dealers pulling this crap. It also has to do with air-flow around engine.

57,135

If they lost the pieces then they owe you a replacement regardless of the cost. Be very firm and take them to court if necessary. They will settle as they have no excuse. Try and get them to admit they lost the pieces in writing. If you have it in writing then you have them by the short hairs.

57,135

You could offer to accept used pieces if they are in good shape. The dealer would save money and you get what you want. It is a small compromise but it could smooth things over with the dealer.

65,055

That's absolute nonsense!! They have to replace them!! Them telling you that you don't need these pieces is one of the biggest crocks I've ever heard!! As Fordnut said, they're there for a reason demand that they replace these parts. If you get nowhere with the service manager, again, do as Fordnut said. Call customer service. You pay top dollar for top quality service at the dealer. Not to lose valuable pieces of your car. Oh my God!! HTH. - Jim

Best Answer

Well said Jim. Absolute (beep)

233,045

Another reason I don't go to dealerships unless absolutely necessary. Had a similar experience.

20

Good advice, but it seems with these guys I need more concrete evidence from Volkswagen that these pieces have function. Where can I get that? Also, they say it is 2 pieces that total more than $500. Is that even true? This all started when they botched a fuel filter replacement that left me stranded.

Do what Full_of_Regrets suggested. Get it in writing, that they "lost" the parts, the dealer can not deny that... or they will be subject to punitive fines, payable to you if they deny it. That dealer needs to cut their losses and replace it. Now. If they will not give you a document that says they lost it (which there is really something fishy about that) you still have a solid case. Go to another dealer and ask what function it has. In writing. You may even have to pay a fee for that, but can be recovered in court.

233,045

You can also lose the frustration and hassle a just procure the parts yourself in a salvage yard or eBay for much cheaper. $65....http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK4-VW-GTI-JETTA-TDI-1-9T- ENGINE-COVER-BAY-TRIM-BADGE-GOOD-FACTORY-OEM-YM- /381465480192? fits=Model%3AJetta%7CSubmodel%3ATDI&hash=item58d11d4c00: g:kj8AAOSwIwhWRQIr&vxp=mtr