the big nut from the water pump to the fan which way to remove clock wise or counter and how do i hold the pully in the water pump so it does not turn on me

Asked by Mar 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM about the 2005 Dodge Durango Adventurer

2005 durango 4.7L

106,635

Look downward behind the fan and you'll see a large nut (about 1 7/16") attaching the fan clutch to the water pump pulley. You have to turn this bolt counter clockwise while keeping the water pump pulley from turning. There are 3 possible ways to do this. 1) Press down hard on the serpentine belt and hope it keeps the pulley from rotating with the nut. 2) Take of the serpentine belt and use a strap wrench to hold the pulley. 3) Make your own tool taking advantage of the holes drilled in the water pump pulley to hold it in place. Once that nut is broken loose, DON'T REMOVE it yet. There are four bolts to remove on the fan shroud. Two on the top and two underneath. Take all four out, pop the shroud out from the radiator, and move it over the fan. Now take the fan clutch nut the rest of the way off and lift out the fan, clutch, and shroud together."

106,635

And this " I was able to get the fan clutch off using a 6" C-clamp on the water pump pulley and a 10" pipe wrench with the help of a cheater bar (metal pipe) for leverage on the pipe wrench. Crank the C-Clamp on as tight as possible on the water pump pulley but out of the way of the nut so you can lock the pipe wrench onto the nut. Use the pipe wrench and cheater bar to loosen the large fan nut. The pully (and C-clamp) will rotate initially until the C-clamp jams up against the engine block."

105

I just replaced mine last night without removing the belt or the shroud. I was able to get a vice grip tight enough to hold the pulley, but not tight enough to deny or damage the pulley. I placed this on the right side as you look down from the front of the truck. The vice grip straddled over the belt and did not grab it. I have a large crescent wrench that fit on the nut. It moved fairly easily. I also loosened the fan bolts before fully removing the entire assembly with some careful maneuvering. The replacement cluctch is designed with a shorter mounting nut, so getting it back in after reapplying the fan was a lot easier. I will replace the belt today.

105

I just realized the car in question is a Dodge Durango. I was replacing the clutch on a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. I imagine it is similar,.

10

tenspeed...You are a genius! Thank you so much for making me feel dumber than I possibly could. LOL Excellent idea. Thanks again.

10

You don't have to take off fan cover. All you need is an Allen wrench or small chisel to stick in one of the 4 holes rotate untill locked up than use crescent wrench for fan nut. Take fan off and you have enough room to rest fan inside fan cover . I have used this same procedure to changs water pump on my 2000 dodge 1500 5.7 and 2006 dodge ram 1500 4.7. Only thing to take off is air filter, top serpentine belt and washer fulid/coolant reserve. Very simple but it can be hard if you listen to all this mumbo jumbo crap. I just done mine in under 1 hour total on my 06. For 2000 5.7 engine bottom radiator hose needs to come off. I've never had to take off all that other crap and I have owned many dodge trucks and a minivan. The 06 was the easiest of any I have done.

We have both attached right now but out of the truck! We cant get the Nut loose! Help plzzz

105

It is easier to remove the fan while the pump is still attached to the truck. Since you have it out, you need to chuck it in a vice somehow to secure the pully (I use vice grips to hold it while it is attached to the truck) and the fan nut turns counter clockwise.