Can I swap the motor out of my 1999 Ford Explorer 4 door SUV and put it in my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac as a straight long block swap? A short block swap? or not at all?

Asked by Mar 27, 2017 at 08:16 PM about the 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD

BOTH are 4WD'S, BOTH have the SOHC and BOTH have an E for the 8th digit of the VIN. Ordinarily I would think yes. However, both have different Ford part numbers and my local Ford franchise mechanics can't tell me why. The reason I need to know for certain is that the 99 SUV will need to be towed a long distance to get to the shop where the 02 Sport Trac is sitting with the bad motor. Does anyone know the definitive answer, before I  proceed?

Many thanks,

Troy

21,120

Engines go through various revisions during their lifetime of use. Your engine is a V6, part number changes reflect factory modifications to the design. The 4.0 V6 OHV engine went through about seven revisions during its many years of use by Ford. Each has the same vin code "X" but few internal parts of the engine are interchangeable. You will have to research the design difference between the two engines paying special attention to the inclusion of electronic updates to the newer engine. Also, while you own the vehicle, if the swap if made, you will have to inform the mechanic, if work is done in the future, of the new year as adjustments to things like timing and idle may be totally different.

I appreciate you taking the fine to answer. I understand and agree with your comments. The Ford motor in this year range also came with many vin code "k" engines as well. Unfortunately, none of this answers the original question. Can the entire motor be dropped into the Explorer Sport as a long block? A short block only? I have spoken with two different Ford mechanics and a parts manger and still don't have the answer. I have no idea where to research the design differences as it applies to my question. Do you have any suggestions?

21,120

Here is what I suggest. Google Motorcraft Re-manufactured engines. The line for Motorcraft Ford engines will bring you to the Ford website for genuine parts. Plus in the make and model of your vehicle and you will see various engines for different vehicles. Scroll down until you see your make and model and jot down the part number. Now do the same for the 99 model and note the part number. If they are the same, you can drop it in.

21,120

OK, I went to WWWfordparts.com and check on the complete engine assembly for both the 99 and 2002 explorer. The complete engine assembly, ready to be dropped in, have the same part number for both years, so I assume you are good to go. You may have to reprogram the PCM, but you can check with a mechanic who has the program to flash the PCM and see if they are the same. Good luck.