My 2003 ford explorer ran hot I change my housing for my thermostat and thermostat crank sensor in still won't start I need help please

10

Asked by Dec 30, 2013 at 03:23 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4WD

2,425

how hot did you run it? like so hot it stopped running hot?

10

Yes so I put water in it and it started for little while then killed theres no water in oil I also change my spark plugs still nothing

2,425

running a motor that hot could be anything. when it last ran was it knocking?

10

No knocking but when I took cap off the radtaior in try to start it water will blow out the raidtor so I think my motor is no good right

2,425

still could be a lot of things combined but yes a very good possibility... maybe start with thermostat and see if its not damaged that would stop the flow and it doesn't cost anything. hope this helps... let me know. p.s. please never take that cap off when truck is hot it has pressure and could really hurt you if not worse..

2,425

Need to find out why coolant is flowing. would check thermostat or maybe even take it out, put it back together and fill the coolant bottle and put the cap on and try to start again...like I said it has pressure so not sure if your even suppose to have the cap off when starting or running it. also does it seem to be turning over normal but just not starting? let me know hope this helps

20,490

There shouldn't be a radiator cap on a 2003 V6. There should be a cap on the resovior on the left side of the engine when facing it. When you try to start the engine cold, does it spin normally, or does it seem to be dragging and not as fast as usual.

10

The engine spins normally do you think I need to check the compressing on motor cause I got told from someone the rings could be bad

2,425

by any chance did you put the thermostat in backwards? it happens..

2,425

that could 1 problem with the flow, but is it getting spark and gas?

10

It has good gas pressure and it gets a good spark

20,490

Normally when you everhead an engine to the point you indicate you fry it. It will often seize up after that, expecially after it cools. You seem to be getting fuel, spark, and fire, that which is required for it to run. If it spins normally while trying to start obviously something fried. If you have a compression tester try that. Only other thing I can suspect is it jumped time somehow.

20,490

Don't waste your time worrying about coolant or a thermostat at this time. If the engine is cool it will start if the entire system is bone dry, so any coolant related items should be over looked until you get it running. But when it starts, don't run for any length of time without coolant. No pure water please.

2,425

I agree with OJ 100%

2,425

what made you change the crank sensor?

10

I changed the crank sensor because before it ran hot my truck would kill when it was cold in truck would flood out that happen a couple of times

20,490

The crankshaft sensor can be damage by high heat. However, normally when they begin to go out the engine will not restart when hot, but will start when cold.

LOOK WITH THE 2000 EDDIE EDITIONS THERE IS NO WAY TO PUT THERMOSTATE IN ANYWAY BUT HOW IT GOES. I CHANGED THE WHOLE HOUSING IT IS A NIGHTMARE BEFORE XCHECHEKING ANYTHING THE MAIN THINGS NEED TO B CHECKED. THE SENSORS ON THE HOUSING UNIT THE WIRES GOING TO THEM EVERY HOSE ON THE UNIT CONNECTING TO THE UNIT. THOSE HOSES CAN B EASILY KINKED JUST BY A HAIR AND IT WILL AFFECT THE WAY THE COOLING SYSTEM WORKS. FOR EXAMPLE I KNOCKED ONE OF THE SENSORS LOOSE AND IT WAS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GATE TO WITHOUT HAVE TO TAKE UNIT OFF. WAS MAKING MY TRUCK WANT TO DIE AT EX. STOP SIGN SO I ADJUSTED THE IDLE TO IDLE JUST A LITTLE HIGHER. GOT I BELIEVE ITS CALLED ALL PURPOSE GOOP FROM WALM. SL\APPED IN ON DRIED AND WALAH ALL BETER.