My 2003 Explore has 150k miles and the power/leather driver side seat feels worn. Can I switch only the seat portions from the passanger side and the driver side?

30

Asked by Mar 06, 2012 at 05:12 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4WD

2003 Ford Explorer, power driver seat, leather

75

No the seat designs are made differently from one another. Try a salvage yard you can get them pretty cheap there.

30

Thanks for the help, you saved me many hours of dismantling the seats to see they are different.

22,760

No, there is a difference. I know because I have a 2003. My problem was my big butt kinda mashed the foam portion of the seat out of wack. The passenger side hardly had a butt on it. You can can take the foam from one seat and switch it to the other side as they match. I did this because the dealership wanted ninety bucks for the seat foam. (and not the back foam)

30

Oj, thanks. Is it just the foam that can be swapped or is it the complete seat cushon that gets switched? Any removal or installation tips?

22,760

Just the foam itself can be swapped. The material is different. It's extremely easy once you take the seat out of the vehicle. Four bolts on the floor for each seat. Make sure you disconnect the electrical connections under the seat first. Once out you will have to remove the plastic "beauty ring" on the side by the controls for the seat. It is only one or two screws. The seat cover is held in place by elastic bands which stretch and have connecting points. There is one piece of plastic about a foot long that wedges part of the material onto a frame. If you think you will get confused on the re-installation, use your cell phone and take a couple close-up photos before takeing it apart. Time to change the foam on both seats is about ten minutes a piece once you get the seat out of the vehicle. Which takes five minutes each.

30

Oj, thanks for the details. I will give it a try as soon as te weather breaks. How about this problem? Above 64 mph I feel a slight vibration along with a "DRONE" sound and feel. I have replaced the following; tires, all wheel bearings, rear differential, rear drive shaft, u joints, front axels re-packed and I can't remember the other parts without looking at the bills. Everybody seems to be throwing darts without finding the true cause. Any suggestions ANYBODY?

22,760

I've had three explorers from 96 to 2003 which I have handed down to my children. Which means the act of donation also mandates repairs and maintanence on the part of the doner. One thing I can tell you about Explorers is the front ends wear quick. Your 2003 does not have torsion bar suspension, but it would be better if he had, like previous models. The upper ball joints wear out about 60K on all models. You can check the upper joing by turning the well and visually checking. The rubber grease covers are probably gone making the ball visible and has probably rusted. If this is the case check to see if the ball is loose and needs replacing. Get back if you do not know how to check the ball.

22,760

I hate to mention this, but is a possibility with the 2003 Explorer. The front wheels do not have bearings in the normal sense. There is a hub assembly which is, in effect, the bearings. The drone or "hum" you hear could be one of the hubs going bad. Unfortunately they are not cheap and a dealership may charge you 300 bucks to change one. Have a professional check it out to make sure. If you learn one of the hubs are bad, change both. I know of one person who changed one on the passenger side himself and was all smiles from ear to ear. Two month later the hub on the drivers side began humming.......................................

30

Thanks OJ. I did have the wheel bearings /hubs replaced twice along with the ball joints. At this point it has been suggested that I have the dealer use the "ears" on a test drive to isolate the source of the vibration. I am not sure I want to commit to such an expensive proposition with a vehicle of this age. I try not to excede 64mph and when I do I turn up the radio.

22,760

Seems like you've gone through quite an expense in maintaining the vehicle. With everthing done the veicle isn't really "old" except in years. I'll suggest this, but be very careful. Place the rear wheels on jack stands, excelerate until 65 and see if you hear the noise. Or take it to a shop with a frame life and let the mechanic do it and see what he can see/hear from under the vehicle. How many miles do you have on the car? Did you purchase it new?