03 Ford Explorer 4.0L Flex Fuel. Had the codes runner and these are the results. P0301,P0300,P0303,P03116,P0405,P2195 and P2196.

Asked by Sep 04, 2016 at 03:52 PM about the 2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6

03 Ford Explorer 4.0L Flex Fuel. Had the codes runner and these are the results. P0301,P0300,P0303,P03116,P0405,P2195 and P2196. Suv is running lean at rich at the same time. Changed out EGR for a new one was well of a few hours and when I drove to store it began to slightly jerk then check engine began to flash. When idling Rpms fluctuate between 700-1000 then it just goes away after a few minutes and does not do it again till next start up. Since it is running rich and lean it steered me to believe it was the EGR, EGR was replaced then as I made a quick 3 mile run it started doing the same thing again. New plugs about a month and a half old this is really breaking my head. I am leaning towards Throttle body position sensor, Idle Air control valve and throttle body. Any idea or suggestions are greatly appreciated this is getting to the point where it is just annoying since I have had major transmission repairs done to it among regular maintenance. Like I said all help is greatly appreciated since I can not seem to figure out the issue.

16,120

Do not trow parts at it in hopes of hitting the bulls eye. Best take it to a mechanic with a live data scanner. He can read the various specifications of all electronic parts and determine if they are within perimeters which will lead him to a repair procedure. He can also check if the PCM is at fault and in need of repair/replacement. Electronic parts are seldom returnable. An estimate of proper repair will cost as much as one electronic part you may purchase, but not need.

16,120

YOur 300 level codes responds to a RANDOM misfire in various cylinders. Could be a problem with the PCM. Don't go purchase one, unless you have equipment, you cannot program it.

16,120

You can also check for excessive fuel pressure which could cause the problem, and one or more fuel injectors could be stuck open.

Oj, That is where I am leaning towards a fuel injector issue but, would that not pop up on the scanner. When scanned every thing seems to be in the norm outside of the above codes it threw.

16,120

If you have a live data scanner, it might. What leads me to the injector issue is the code indicating an random misfire in three cylinders. The first thing I would check are the injectors for proper operation.

16,120

Also, remember faulty fuel injectors can also result in a lean or rich code, and also affect the idle. There should be a video on the net which shows how to use a screwdriver or other long metal object to listen for the noise the injector makes. Check it out for one. If you can hear a methodical opening and closing (click) on a good cylinder, a bad injector will sound different.

16,120

Since it costs nothing, visually check each injector pulse wire from it's connection back to the bundle, then to the PCM. Heat can destroy the insulation on these wires causing a short. If you find any bare wires within the bundle, that could be one problem.

Took it to an auto electrician he was also stumped on the issue. He ran a live data scan and all cylinders seem to be misfiring randomly. Had a mechanic check the fuel pressure and to him it seemed a little high after checking the Ford log it was with in the norm. It has been running fine for the last two days tonight as I was driving was at a stop light and the rmps began to jump but, never goes higher than 1k it is usually under to the point that it wants to shut off but, it does not. Does get worse when the A/C is on and the compressor constantly kicks on and off. Did check spark plugs on cylinder 1 and 3 since those were the ones that the scanner picks up both were gaped to wide and I fixed that and it is running better. Only on stops does it act up. I am beginning to lean towards a vacuum leak what is you alls thoughts on that? Thanks

16,120

The AC kicking on and off could indicate a refrig leak, but that is another matter and should not cause engine issues. I can assume the mechanic ruled out a bad PCM as I had to replace one in my '03 explorer 4.0 recently as it was causing goofy operation also. What sends up a flag for me is the fact you recently changed the plugs and wires and two plugs were gaped incorrectly. You may want to check the gap on all of them. From experience I can say Fords are finicky when it comes to plugs and wires. I only use Motorcraft. You can check the resistance of your plug wires with a multimeter. The specs for the wires should be available on the net. You can also purchase a noid light for about 15 bucks to check the injector pulse for each injector, if the mechanic did not do it. Did the mechanic check the IAC? Idle air control valve. Those are known to cause erratic problems. Try cleaning the throttle body and IAC and check the IAC for proper operations. I also just recently had to change one of my Cat converters. It wasn't causing the vehicle to run bad, but it was throwing a 430 idiot light code.

I will be refilling the ac soon as I think it might be low. PCM is fine, IAC is also working properly throttle body was already cleaned. It currently has Motorcraft wires and Autolite plugs. Scanner did not show any codes for injectors but, have not been checked. Cat converters are also fine. This is a sporadic issue today it has not acted up at all. The codes that do concern me are the ones having to do with the Oxygen sensors I will be checking connections on them soon.

16,120

Obviously an electronic issue which is probably heat related.