Asked by Nov 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM about the 2004 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4WD

Fuel fliter and or injectors/fuel lines are clogged with dirt, or the fuel pump died from overheating because of no fuel.

Someone let the fuel pump run without any gas in there...and the pump burned up...you've got to get a new pump...unless the fuel-pump-emergency reset button....located on the driver's kick panel....normally is needed if the bumper has been touched by a careless parallel parker~

https://www.google.com/#q=2004+Ford+Explorer+XLT+V6+fuel+pump&tbm =shop

fuel pressure reset button~

When you say "not cranking" I'm taking it as the vehicle will not start, but it will turn over. Here is a good suggestion based on a story. Got a call from my son one night stating the vehicle killed and would not restart. He does not know much about vehicles other than sticking in the key and turning it. So he has AAA tow the vehicle to my house. I immediately got into the vehicle and tried to start it, nothing. I looked at the gas guage and it was pinned on "E". I looked at him and said; you're out of gas. He replied by saying; The light didn't come on on the dash. Dumped three gallons of gas into the tank from the garage and after a few seconds of cranking it started up, but running roughly. I then asked when the last time he changed the fuel filter. His response; you suppose to change that? The truck was purchased new in 2003. Changed the filter and the fuel exiting the old filter was coming out black. Long story short? Don't run the tank much past 1/4 tank without filling up, and change the fuel filter more often than once a decade.

I don't understand why everyone here has overlooked the obvious. Try putting atleast $15 worth of gas in it. $5.00 worth of fuel nowadays is only a little over one gallon and it's almost the same as still being empty. Your fuelpump wont even register one gallon of gas on a previously empty tank. One gallon will barely make it up to the fuel . pickup in the tank Plus by running it out of fuel you might have sucked up some dirt or sediment into the pickup tube from what has settled down to the bottom of the tank. Even with plastic fueltanks on cars now you can still suck up dirt and debre from the underground tanks at gas stations. It can go from their tank into yours. You might also have water from condensation in the bottom of your tank. Gasoline will float on top of water so the water will also settle to the bottom of the tank as well. But just try putting in some more fuel first and maybe a bottle of gumout or similar fuel injection cleaner before you consider dropping the fuel tank. If you've got 4-5 gallons of gas in the tank and it still won't start then you have something plugged up somewhere between your fuel tank and your fuel injectors on the engine.. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

Good point Blue. When I originally read the post I read 5 gallons instead of 5 bucks.

Yeah, I figured that's what everyone read. I caught it right away only because I'm so concious of gas prices lately as they've been changing so drastically going from $3.09 to $3.49 and back in a 2 week period. I really wish they would level off and stay the same for a long while. Then it would be easier for everyone to figure out weekly gasoline costs.. And BTW, I remember when I started driving at 16 years old, $5.00 worth of gas would give you a half a tank and the average fuel tank was real steel not plastic and held 20 or more gallons. Nobody cared about gas prices. Kenny/MrBlueOval