While charging my 1966 mustang, I went to start the car and all electrical went dead. No power at all.

Asked by Apr 03, 2014 at 11:57 AM about the 1966 Ford Mustang Base

The battery is new.  The car just sat through winter and I did not disconnect battery.  
Now there is no electrical power at all.  The car has a 289

Should be an easy fix. Not much electrical there. If you left the battery in all winter it could have froze and is just bad now. Check your fuses under the dash. Do you have head lights or dome lights?

No lights at all

All power is off

Have you checked all of your fuses? If none are blown I would try a different battery. You should have headlights and dome light power. The battery has to be spent.....

Yes, battery was problem however after I put new battery in, as I was connecting the battery the car attempted to start. No key in ignition, no

Now I can't get the battery connected without the car trying to start. Confused now. Plenty of battery power

Sounds like the starter is stuck "ON". Try rapping on it with a hammer and see if it will retract. Then hook up the battery again. If it keeps trying to start, replace the starter. I doubt that your ignition switch is stuck in the "ON" position.