heat/cool lever on 1966 Ford Mustang "locked"

Asked by Oct 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM about the 1966 Ford Mustang Base

I just purchased this 1966 Mustang, love it, but this morning was the first morning I needed to use the defroster, it was dark, couldn't see, but fiddled around with the levers and got it blowing.  Just about the time I got it blowing nicely the left lever (the heat/cool lever?) locked in the up position so it was only blowing cool air.  How would I go about "unlocking" that lever?

...with any luck the other end of the lever has not "buckled"....what I suggest is a few drops of "TRI-FLOW" what Olympic bicyclists use on their chains...it penetrates, lubricates and leaves a film of teflon behind~ You need to get to the business side...be it an inspection mirror or chimpin' around under there...or snapping the knobs off (or allen screw), the panel off and attempt to reach in there with the lubricant...the other consideration is the diverter valve to which the other end attaches is probably rusted or corroded...seek out the end point of these controls and assure free movement....even if a little disassembly and wirebrush is required~

I could shop for new control cable(s)....think there is just one and a fan speed...middle one is recirc? so no biggie, just change the rusted cable or free the seized control~....you must look 'pon the business end of these controls...disassemble and wirebrush...lubricate and re-assemble....'tis the only way~

Heat, Temp, Def....okay temp is a cable that goes to your heater core....can be put halfway...would inspect the connections and rubber on that one....de- crud and lubricate the cable....the others are possibly scissors type levers going to the flaps? inspection is needed~

There was a small box under the dash on the passenger side, we were able to open it up and reach the cables from the heat/defrost controls, and to loosen the cable in there to where it will work again. It seems to push it all the way up or down causes it to catch somehow and "lock".