GENERAL QUESTION

Asked by Jun 12, 2012 at 05:00 PM about the 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

HI I am trying to determine if a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that I just recently purchases came with an original boss 302 engine? This car still has the original engine. The vin # is OTO2F166957.  Please let me know at your earliest convenience. I appreciate all the help you can give me. My email address is mrgg333@yahoo.com. Thanks

ps. I can submit photo if you need it soon.

465

DO YOU HAVE THE OWNER'S MAUAL? OR YOU CAN GO TO THE LIBRARY & LOOK AT A "CHILTON'S" BOOK, OR YOU MIGHT TRY A FORD DEALER, AND JUST WALK INTO THE AUTO REPAIR AND ASK A MECHANIC. I JUST DON'T RECALL WHEN FORD CAME OUT WITH THE BOSS 302. WISH I COULD HELP MORE.

575

The FIFTH digit of the VIN is the engine code of the vehicle. In your case, that is an "F" which indicates that the car originally came with a Two Barrell 302 engine. The fifth digit would have to be a "G" for it to have come with a Boss 302. Pic attached from 1970 Shop Manual.

If,in fact- you really have a genuine BOSS under your hood-You could sell that engine to a specialist,,install an engine,of your choice,and-Have a FREE mustang that would be closer to correct ! I never heard of a BOSS,installed in anything,but a boss 302..Then,again,,I"ve never seen a 2-barrel MACH 1,either..I guess,anything"s possible!!

575

mrgg & Thomas, Although the original question was specific to the engine of the car, The VIN # provided gives MORE info on the car than just the engine code. In short, the car is NOT a Mach 1. The third and fourth digits of the VIN is the body serial code (in this case, an "02") which indicated this car as being a 2 door Sportsroof (nickname: Fastback). Easy to get confused....1969 Mach 1's didn't have thier own body serial code, they were all "02" body serial codes. In 1970, Mach 1's got thier OWN body serial code "05". This car is a 1970 with an 02 Body serial code, therefore it's NOT a Mach 1. Some more truth...1970 Boss 302's were NOT Mach 1's either. They were 2 door Sportsroofs with a engine option (Boss 302), therefore, the body serial codes used on Boss 302's is "02", and NOT "05". (Pic of a Marti report attached) So, (for the vehicle in question here), there's nothing strange or out of place with the car or the VIN...it's just simply a 1970 Mustang 2 door Sportsroof equipped with a 2 barrel 302 engine (fairly common). The seller or previous owner of the car may have used terms like "Mach1" and "Boss 302" to advertise the car, but the VIN # tells the truth about what the car actually is. For more info on the options ordered on the car, a marti peport would have to be ordered/bought. The pic attached will give an idea of what to expect if ordering a Marti report on the car. Hope this was helpfull, Riff.